Mz Vista Force

mothercat 13:51 10 Nov 2007

Details of this Windows System Tweaker free download is featured in the Jan issue of PC Advisor. Having bought a new laptop with Vista installed and finding it very slow compared to this machine running XP I wanted to check the above programme. I went to the site tinyurl.com/2wzvd9 but it appeared I had to sign up to access the download there (another username -password!!) so I opted for one of the alternative download sites.

There was a vast selection on this alternative site and when I came across Mz Auto Force I thought "yes thats the one". So I downloaded, installed and ran it. The usual, 'computer will shut down and restart' I accepted and everything was fine until I entered the password I (know) and have being using for weeks (INVALID PASSWORD)

I emailed Mz and was told that I had installed the wrong programme and as I could not now access my computer I should check out the Microsoft Vista web site for help(about as much use as gazing into a hedge!)

So (A) If you intend trying this programme make sure its got the right number of blips or full stops etc or the above could happen

And (B) can anyone offer some same advise as to how I access my laptop without knowing what MZ has done to my password?
Kind regards
Joe

otterkin 19:10 11 Nov 2007

I did download the correct programme and installed it.

It does however contain MALWARE (according to BitDefender Antivirus Plus v.10)

It blocked the installation of Trojan.Dldr.Stration.A which is,apparently, in C:\Programme Files\MzVistaForce\clean_DNS.exe and is a 'High Risk' trojan.

Needless to say, I removed the software.

Not happy that a programme recommended by PCAdvisor contains malware.

Possible that it's a 'false positive' by BitDefender, but I've used it for a few years and never found it prone to false positve detection before.
I am certaintly not taking the risk.

Before I install any new programme, I always create a disk image using Acronis True Image.
Installing the image guarantees you have no further problems.

mothercat 15:45 12 Nov 2007

Hi Otterkin
See what you mean but I think I'd have preferred to deal with a Trojan than being completely locked out of my computer.But yes, downloading Malware recommended by PcAdvisor! not so good.
Piece of good news: I tried getting advise as to how to get access to my system -without- having my password and got a variety of recommendation, (one suggested a download of some 600MB or there abouts!) Anyway I came across a company called Password Pros (USA)at www,getwindownspassword.com and bought their down-load. Need to burn a CD from it, stick it in the computer and within 30-40 seconds you are in and its working.. My password was a random ten letter-number sequence so if it can break that in 40 odd seconds--impressive or what.
Now I'll go run a trogan test and see what that brings up.
Kind regards
Joe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?