Mystery Telephone Call

flycatcher1 15:25 30 Sep 2010

I know this is not computer related but I wonder if any expert can explain the following:
Sometimes when time I ring a friend's number there is a short delay and then it sounds as though the telephone has been dropped, then a sound of rushing water and then the sound of a loud siren. A women says "Thank you for calling" and rings off.
My friend does not get the call. BT says that is their problem and say that they have fixed it.
They have not done so although checks have been carried out at friend's house.
Does not always happen. Any ideas would be interesting.

northumbria61 15:29 30 Sep 2010

I would suggest a call to BT to report a fault on your line.

john bunyan 15:59 30 Sep 2010

Perhaps GCHQ is listening!!

Noldi 16:27 30 Sep 2010

Maybe your friend does not want to speak to you. Probably turns the bath tap on full grabs one of the kids toys and says thank you for calling.

Noldi

Terry Brown 16:32 30 Sep 2010

Do you have a wireless phone and a wireless router and is it near your computer?

The signals can jam each other leading to the problem you say.

The only solution is to move the telephone away from the router/modem (or visa-versa).

To cure that problem with mine (which has a base unit and 2 phones), I had to move the base unit downstairs, and the receiving unit (unit 2) upstairs where the telephone and the computer are.
Terry

flycatcher1 17:33 30 Sep 2010

Thank you all for your helpful, in some cases, comments.
My Friend is, I am afraid terminally ill and does not want the hassle of another BT visit.
We do have a wirelss telephone and router and even if they do cause the problem what is the message for?
I think that in some way my call triggers an automatic alarm by how and what for I have no idea.
Noldi. My pal and I have been friends for about sixty years but I had better carry out a serious check on his kids toys!

woodchip 18:37 30 Sep 2010

Does you Friend Have a Button that she can hang round her neck as this links to phone and help line. I think its this what is the problem

flycatcher1 21:47 30 Sep 2010

woodchip
Friend is a he, my wife does not allow "Lady Friends".
No Help Button fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?