Mystery Stubborn Virus

PC Advice Sir 20:28 02 Jul 2004

Sorry to be a bore about virus's but I seem to have acquired one somehow, despite being pretty security conscious with an up-to-date firewall and a virus scanner.

It started yesterday 1/7/04 when I booted up - "Installation Error" then tried to connect to the internet [Zone Alarm alert advisor also, to which I denied connection].

When I run my updated AVG it detects a "Trojan horse Downloader.Rameh.E" but clicking the 'move to virus vault' button only gives me an okay box that says "File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ATPARTNE.DLL can not be removed". If I can delete it to the recycle bin why is it not removable by the AVG?

There is no reference to 'Rameh.E' on the AVG database, nor on any of the main antivirus websites, such as Sophos.com.

What annoys me about AVG is that their software detects and names a virus that isn't even in their own database!! Pretty lame or what.

Symptoms: Webpage's open in a default size window that I have to open to full size every time, and one of my web pages open's for a short duration says unable to load then redirects the browser elswhere.

Adaware & Spybot scans report clean results.

Any insight or advice to remedy this annoying thing would be very welcome.

zipdrive 20:31 02 Jul 2004

I wonder if this is something to do with it? Try this link click here

PC Advice Sir 20:41 02 Jul 2004

But I just did a search of my drives C,D,E but the rogue files 'Kk32.dll & Surf.dat' as mentioned in that link were not found according to the search.

jonnytub 20:43 02 Jul 2004

can you delete the file to recycle bin and then empty it?

PC Advice Sir 20:46 02 Jul 2004

but will that be sufficient?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 02 Jul 2004

try shredder CW Shredder click here

zipdrive 20:52 02 Jul 2004

I would still recommend you download the update if using XP or Windows 2000. See my responce to the item further down the forum "Windows XP Update".

jonnytub 20:54 02 Jul 2004

download the update to start with as zipdrive suggests, then turn off sys restore, delete the file, empty recycle bin, reboot, check for virus,if all clean, turn sys restore back on.

zipdrive 20:54 02 Jul 2004

It's actual called "New XP critical Update" in the forum.

PC Advice Sir 21:45 02 Jul 2004

I took and acted upon your advice about deleting/system restore/rescanned etc. to the letter - and alas things seem to be okay now (touch wood).

I had done the update earlier as I was prompted to do so automatically. My browser window opens to max by default again too now.

I will treat as resolved (I feel I'm still typing on eggshells at the moment though).

What can I say...BRILLIANT!!
THANK YOU ALL EVER SO MUCH.

Paul. :-)

jonnytub 21:47 02 Jul 2004

post back any probs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone