Mystery MSWin File

Phoenix40 17:31 10 Dec 2007

Hello i wonder if anyone can help me. Im using Wins 98SE things have been running fine until just now. When i was closing my computer down, it wouldnt close down properly. So i turned it off manually, like i have done a few times before, and like it has done before, it kept starting up automatically all the time until i finally got it to stop.

But when i started it up again, i had this message come up on my desktop it says something like this.

That on Startup on C/Win/ Start Menu/ Program/ Startup/ MSWin 2009555282.exe file is not excepted for this type of win32.

It doesnt seem to have affected my computer in any other way.I have traced the file on windows explorer. Also when i go into Run on Start Menu i put in MSCONFIG and found the file on Startup and cleared the tick on it, hoping that would clear it. But instead the message returned when i rebooted the computer and the tick appeared again on MSCONFIG. This problem seems to have only arisen since i had this problem closing my computer. I hope my explanation is clear enough and hope to hear from someone soon thank you

rawprawn 17:43 10 Dec 2007

Try this system file check
click here

Phoenix40 18:21 10 Dec 2007

Hello thank you for your prompt reply. I found the instructions concerning doing a System File Checker, and went through the procedure of having it check my C drive and it came up with an error message to do with a file called Setup.dll that seems to be the cause. So i follow through the instructions to restore the original file settings which i did from the Windows Cab directory, and so far it seems to have worked and cleared the error message on my desktop when im booting up. But when i looked up on the MSCONFIG program on the Startup menu list the mystery file is still there but i have left it unticked is that alright? Or can i get rid of this file without harming my Windows System, let me know what you think thank you for your help anyway.

rawprawn 18:28 10 Dec 2007

Use this program to clean up msconfig
click here

Phoenix40 18:38 10 Dec 2007

Hello thank you for your reply. I have now downloaded the MSCONFIG cleanup tools system for now and will use it later on. Thank you for your help i will leave things as they are for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?