Mystery 'Mark' Icon

  spuds 12:01 10 Nov 2004

A real weirdo as overtaken my computer in recent days, and I cannot seem to solve the problem, so any advice would be very much appreciated.

As stated this as only happened within the last few days.When I use the mouse pointer, I sometimes observe a small square hollow box with the title 'mark' alongside in blue colouring.This appears at random intervals, and there appears to be no real set pattern to it.Pointing on key words doesn't seem to be an indicator as to the problem.

I have run all the usual security/safeguard checks and nothing is showing at fault.

Can anyone solve this annoying bug for me!.

  Sethhaniel 12:45 10 Nov 2004

could it be a hidden desktop shortcut???!!
that displays its flag when your mouse moves over it - -or is the 'Mark' in random areas of screen or attached to mouse? ;)

  Micro-Man 13:06 10 Nov 2004

i have noticed similar blue boxes appear using Word in Office XP. It is clearly some option in Word but I don't know what.

  spuds 11:58 11 Nov 2004

Thanks guys for the input.I am still at a loss to the problem,as an example, when I move my mouse arrow/pointer an object like one or all of the notepads or similar item on this [ click here ] or any other site, then it leave the squared box with the title 'Mark'on the object, even when I have moved the pointer to another area on the screen.I do not press/click-on any buttons on the mouse.

This phantom icon leaves it trace on the objects the pointer as touched, and cannot be removed. I can leave the particular website [with icon intact] and return later when the icon as dissappeared, only to return when I point to the item. The icon only appears on objects like product pictures, and not on wording.

All sounds a little weird, but there must be an answer out there.

  spuds 12:09 11 Nov 2004

What I have just found with further experimenting, if I use the mouse button and actually click-on the displayed box and title 'Mark' then a tick appears in the displayed squared box. Similar to ticking for perhaps further reference or deletion.Could I have inadvertently downloaded a programme which may have a facility for recording certain computer activities for future reference!.

Do you know of such a programme!.

  spuds 23:54 11 Nov 2004


  spuds 10:24 12 Nov 2004


  spuds 11:44 14 Nov 2004

Still attempting to resolve this irritating problem.Possible help and suggestions urgently sought.

  spuds 11:29 26 Nov 2004

This problem is still very evident and will not go away. I have tried all manner of things without success, and I can now only think that it may be due to something that I inadvertently downloaded, a type of keylogger or tracer. Nothing shows up in Add and Remove, Programmes or any Safeguard and Security prevention programmes that I have installed.How can I dig deeper into the computer workings, to see if there is a 'lurker' there.

This problem is getting very annoying, as everything like products and adverts or anything similar is left with the sqared box and 'mark' icon, even submit and continue buttons. As I mentioned previously, if you click the box it can leave a tick, click again and the tick is removed.Similar to a question being raised and ticked or unticked on acceptance.

In my final opinion it can only be some form of activity tracer, but where is the details stored, if at all anywhere.Is there a suitable way of finding this offender or perhaps dispensing with it. Help and advice wanted urgently. Appreciations as always.

  Graham ® 11:38 26 Nov 2004

Have you scanned with A-squared (Free)

click here?

  Graham ® 11:42 26 Nov 2004

Can you draw a line between two icons?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017