Mystery files in ' My Documents '

gerryp25 23:30 22 Oct 2008

Hi, I have been receiving dozens of files in ' My Documents' origin unknown, some examples are shown below
AsH142_cfdg.exe
VpE36e_cfdg.exe
IyU3Px_cfdg.exe
I have tried deleting them and I get the message about it being a system file and that it could cause computer not to run properly.
I did take the plunge and did delete 1 of them to see what happenend and the computer still works, since then I have deleted to the recycle bin dozens of these files with no ill effect as far as I can see.
I am running XP and AVG
Any help would be appreciated

brundle 23:33 22 Oct 2008

Do you use Save2PC?
click here

gerryp25 22:13 23 Oct 2008

Thanks brundle-- I do use Save2PC as you suspect, so am I getting these from them?. If so is there anything I can do to get rid of them?, at the moment most of them are stored in the Recycle bin, am I safe to delete them permanently, or will it cause problems to the computer?
Thanks for the clue and now let's hope I can delete them safely.
Has anyone any more ideas?
gerryp25

brundle 22:16 23 Oct 2008

Yes apparently the files are generated by that program. Delete them, and the delete the deleted ones from the recycle bin.

gerryp25 22:47 23 Oct 2008

thanks brundle, you sure it's safe? Sorry to mention it I suppose if you are offering this advice on PC Advisor it must be the genuine article.
Thanks again
gerryp25

woodchip 00:06 24 Oct 2008

Do you use Youtube? look hear click here

Looks like you have been looking at Videos on the above. It as set the file. You can delete these if you want

woodchip 00:09 24 Oct 2008

I think they act like a shortcut

gerryp25 21:51 24 Oct 2008

Thanks everyone I will delete them as that seems to be the thing to do.
To Woodchip yes I have used Youtube and saved a few so it would appear to part of the Save2pc programe that produces these files. As long as they cause no problem when I delete them from Recycle bin there should be no problem.
Thanks again

grey george 22:15 24 Oct 2008

If you hold down the shift key when you choose delete they will not be put in the recycle bin, just deleted completely.

gerryp25 22:36 24 Oct 2008

Thanks grey george for your input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?