mystery file

Gwynedd 20:16 04 Jul 2010

Ad aware told me it had detected a serious security threat and removed it. The next time I started my System Mechanic, Boot Cleaner superseded Registry defragmentation and said it was deleting a file as per instructions - I didn't get time to note the full file name before it was gone but the parts I do remember were ??? .dll and then ??? /BTInternet/Webcontent.
I am at a loss to know how the file came to be there - I have no connection with BT only Virgin Media broadband.
The file's removal doesn't appear to have compromised my PC, and running a deep scan with ad aware revealed no nasties.
Has anybody any ideas.

northumbria61 21:43 04 Jul 2010

Appears Adaware and System Mechanic were only doing the job they are designed for.

What is a DLL?
A DLL is a library that contains code and data that can be used by more than one program at the same time. For example, in Windows operating systems, the Comdlg32 DLL performs common dialog box related functions. Therefore, each program can use the functionality that is contained in this DLL to implement an Open dialog box. This helps promote code reuse and efficient memory usage.

Looks like it has been a link to another program or link to a website that is no longer required and it has been removed safely. As you say it doesn't appear to have any effect on your PC so I wouldn't worry any further about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?