mystery error message

palinka 12:39 15 Aug 2006

a friend has just sent me a message that she has several times recently received a message in a grey popup box, purportedly from Windows, on going into email. It is from "Security Monitor" and tells her that "the buffer has overrun in Messenger Service" and that it has discovered 55 "Critical System" errors (always the same number) in her system and that this is liable to break down. It tells her to log on to click here to put this right.

I think her OS is XP. Her AV is up to date and she uses a firewall.

Any advice please? I think it's a scam.

Stuartli 12:57 15 Aug 2006

Delete it.

vinnyT 13:02 15 Aug 2006

It's ost definately a scam, the link takes you to a page of sponsered links, it is likely that for each link clicked the refering page recieves a fee.

If everyone who was receiving these popups clicked just 1 link, the site would make a fair bit of cash (for very little outlay).

Unless your friend really needs windows messenger, I would suggest that you tell her to disable it, this would prevent these little pop-ups getting through.

Ask if she has xp sp2 installed as this has messenger disabled by default, if she dosn't, and has no good reason not to, then suggest that she installs it.

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 13:02 15 Aug 2006

ost = almost

palinka 14:03 15 Aug 2006

thank you both; confirms my suspicions; and i'll tell her about windows messenger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017