Mystery blank email 669K - Virus?

kjrider 14:58 09 Feb 2004

Hi there,

I have been getting 2 or 3 blank emails, about 669K size, but also blank inside when I open them in my Yahoo Email.

I don't know where they come from or what is in them, but I assume it is a virus.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Keith.

Taff36 15:07 09 Feb 2004

I should just delete them and forget them. Sounds like trouble. If someone is trying to send you something they`ll get back to you.

Proxy Worm 15:35 09 Feb 2004

There are a few virus that do that. Have you scanned your sytem for viruses?

WillyDR 16:40 09 Feb 2004

I believe that code, webbugs,.... can be inserted in the mail body, not visible to you.
Opening it will send information to the internet that this mail was opened and that therefore the mail address is existing: mostly used by spammers to check this point

JerryJay 17:09 09 Feb 2004

Maybe some attachments with it.

Stuartli 17:14 09 Feb 2004

If you subscribe to e-mail newsletters from online retailers many of them require you to be online before the contents will download and appear.

However, the safest method of all is to permanently disable the Preview Pane in OE. You can still view e-mails safely by highlighting the e-mail with one click, selecting Properties and then Message Source.

After reading the contents, keep Cancelling and then if it is suspicious use the Toolbar's Delete button to get rid of the (still) highlighted e-mail.

It's using the Preview Pane that allows even just one click on an infected e-mail to set it loose...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?