Mysterious wiping of slave drive

jaimie 05:09 25 May 2005

My PC has 3 hard drives,(I built it myself last year) C has XP with sp2 and all my progs, D had MP3's and a folder called software where I kept any downloaded software and E is used for video editing. When I went to use Pinnacle studio 9 last night it reported that a new patch was available (32 megs) so I downloaded that to the software folder on D and then ran the patch to install. All went well and after a restart I continued using Pinnacle Studio. A while later I went to listen to an MP3 on D drive,to find that windows reported D to be unformatted and thus unusable! No amount of restarts or restoring would change that. Luckily I had a complete back-up on CD ROM so I formatted the drive and reloaded all my stuff. Anyone have any idea why this should happen? Norton and Microsoft spyware report nothing unusual.

Kind regards

Jaimie

johnbutter 07:09 25 May 2005

the patch you downloaded may contain virus,spam etc. update the antivurs and spyware and then run antivurs and spyware.before downloading the patch check the security risk etc.

jaimie 18:17 25 May 2005

Thanks Johnbutter, I guess you must be right, it's really wierd to think that whatever caused this went on whilst I was using the comp and wiped this drive without my knowledge.

Thanks

Jaimie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?