Mysterious empty desktop icon

tran1 15:46 25 Feb 2003

Hi,

I keep getting this recurring mystery icon appearing on by desktop everynow and again. It has no proper icon and opens nothing. It has a ~ as its name. I keep deleting this but it appears everynow and again. Maybe every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't know when.

Here is a screenshot of my desktop for you to get a look: click here

Anyone know what is cuasing it and what it is?

Thanks,

John Tran

Patr100 15:56 25 Feb 2003

Have you opted to show "hidden files"? You can get various files appearing on the desktop that normally would be invisible that are part of the workings of Windows.

tran1 16:06 25 Feb 2003

This file does absolutely nothing. Double-clicking it, windows doesn't recognise the file type. I've deleted it many times before and don't seem to of had any problems after, but its just annoying having it appear every couple of weeks.

« Ravin » 16:21 25 Feb 2003

does opening it in notepad reveal anything significant?

tran1 16:32 25 Feb 2003

Hi,

I opened it in notepad and lines of babble came up with what seems to be my email/outlook express contacts.

tran1 16:33 25 Feb 2003

Here is a screenshot of notepad if it helps: click here

tran1 18:21 25 Feb 2003

Been searching the net and can't find anything related to this thing.

tran1 22:32 25 Feb 2003

refrsh

DieSse 23:47 25 Feb 2003

Right click - Properties - what do you get exactly?

tran1 00:56 26 Feb 2003

Pretty much everything is blank.

Type of file: (nothing)

Description: ~

Taran 02:20 26 Feb 2003

Next time it appears call up the Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt, Del keys) then either leave it on the Applications page or click on the Processes tab then double click the icon and see what happens.

Task Manager has certain advantages in that it stays on top of everything on your screen so you can read what is going on and how much processor/memory resources are allocated to the tasks being monitored. Better yet, it should give you a name for whatever it is when you double click it. If you can get the name, you can run it down.

I'm a bit concerned that it appears to be displaying the information in your screen-grab.

Quite why you should have something along those lines appearing at random on your desktop is something I'd take seriously. Perhaps a scan with an alternative antivirus software product to the one you are currently using may help. Try downloading and running AdAware and possibly even a good Trojan scanner as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone