Mysterious display driver crash when watching videos online

captainwat 04:15 12 May 2015

All right. So my computer was working absolutely fine for 1 year. It's my own build.

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 3.5 GHz, 3.9 GHz boost Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX 2.0 PLUS Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce Power Supply: Coolermaster 725W Extreme RAM: Kingston 8 Gb DDR3-1600

Recently, I noticed a weird drivers crash that only occurs when I'm watching a video or a stream on youtube, twitch, wideo, or anywhere really. The screen freezes, I can't move the mouse or use the keyboard, and the audio that I was listen to starts playing in a weird/ stuttering/slowmo/creepy way. Then it all comes back alive, and a message is displayed at the bottom right saying "Kernel display drivers 350,12 has failed and recovered". It happens repeatedly, sometimes every 10 seconds, sometimes not at all for 5 minutes. Here's what I tried:

• Using a different browser (I was using chrome)
  • Using drivers sweeper to completely uninstall my display drivers and reinstalling the prior version, no luck.
  • Doing the same with Java and Flash: no luck.
  • Running a full scan with 2 Antivirus Softwares (Norton/Avast), no luck.
  • Disabling the onboard GPU, no luck.
  • Replacing my 670 with a brand new PNY gtx 970, NO LUCK.
  • Disabling hardware acceleration

Note: My case is not dusty, I clean it regularly. I can game for HOURS in incredibly demanding games (GTA V, Unity) without any problems at all. My CPU/GPU temps are fine. It really only seems to happen when watching content online. And I am NOT running 2 AV's at the same time. I scanned with avast, uninstalled, installed norton, scanned, uninstalled then went back with avast. I'm not a noob when it comes to PC, but now, I'm defeated. Any ideas?

xania 09:18 12 May 2015

Does this occur randomly or can you replicate an incident. I have similar problems, randomly, but in my case it frequently goes off to BSOD, but this then closes the PC down before I can catch the error code. Mine is also a self build PC (Windows 7) and I'm planning a rebuild when I can get round to it, but meanwhile I've learned to live with the problem as it occurs quite infrequently - about one every other month. Certainly, in your case it appears that you are not crashing out, so your work-around might be to reboot your PC immediately and possibly reboot into safe mode first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone