mysterious change in my docs

metamorph 13:18 19 Mar 2004

all my documents in the my docs folder have suddenly got doc. at the end of the file name where they didnt before and also where it before showed them as saved in word docs, they are now in instead all shown as powerpoint docs, and some docs saved in powerpoint are now shown as word docs, what could i have done to cause this? is it trouble? can it be rectified?

johnnyrocker 13:21 19 Mar 2004

depending on your os i would try system restore and then d/load from this site spy-bot and adaware update and run them both

johnny.

metamorph 13:35 19 Mar 2004

i have webroot spysweeper instaled is that not good enough? also to do a system restore dont i have to have done a bacup? i have got one saved in my second drive (or partition) but i didnt save the sysytem files, does that make a difference? am i being thick?????

johnnyrocker 13:43 19 Mar 2004

need to know your os first.

johnny.

metamorph 13:46 19 Mar 2004

i should add its the free spysweeper, but ive run it and its found nothing, same as for norton AV

metamorph 13:47 19 Mar 2004

sorry win2000 pro with office xp

metamorph 16:27 19 Mar 2004

any one got any ideas on this before i fall off the bottom again

johnnyrocker 16:29 19 Mar 2004

run sfc?

johnny.

woodchip 16:40 19 Mar 2004

If it's just .Doc then that's OK. otherwise check for Viruses

ventanas 16:57 19 Mar 2004

As Woodchip says .doc is fine, but Netsky adds .exe so you have a file named filename.doc.exe.

But could this not simply be a change to the setting that does or doesn't show file extentions, together with some confusion with file associations which is easily cured.

Just right click a file and choose Open with\Choose program. Select either Word or Powerpoint (whichever applies) from the list and check the box to always use the selected program. This will change the association back.

metamorph 17:08 19 Mar 2004

thats got it thanx all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?