AT MY WITS END (DVD RW DRIVE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonnytub 20:37 29 May 2004

Hi guys, Im at my wits end with my dvd-+rw drive (optorite dvd rw dd0201), I just can't get any software or even windows (xp pro) to recognise it. To explain myself a little better, the drive will play every single cd/dvd i put in it, it is recognised in device manager without conflict, i've flashed a firmware upgrade, it's also fine and dandy in disk management, but as soon as i put any brand of cd-r, dvd-r or dvd-rw, it goes to pot. E: is not accessable. incorrect function. is the message it throws back. I've tried dvd shrink 3.1, nero 5.5, nero vision express 6, instant dvd/cd 5, and all recognise my cd-rw drive but not my dvd-rw drive, unless of course the disk i insert already has data on it.

jonnytub 20:48 29 May 2004

the drive worked absolutely fine last time it was used without any software installation, internet activity or anyhing else, i want to believe the drive is fine as when i bought it, i sprayed the facia black, so as to match my pc and believe this to invalidate my warranty

stalion 20:53 29 May 2004

have you tried deleting it from device manager and letting windows pick it up on a re-install.regards

grey george 20:54 29 May 2004

Check out this google link click here
A lot of dvd -rw problems seems to be related to cheap media.
Hope this helps.

jonnytub 20:55 29 May 2004

thanks for the quick response guys tried all of them and as for the media, i've tried 5 different brands, the last one i used which burned fine was the datawrite classic dvd-r

grey george 21:05 29 May 2004

Is it installed as the master on the ide channel
You try posting here. click here

jonnytub 21:07 29 May 2004

it is the master on the secondary ide, however i have also tried on the primary ide, tried it as a slave on both ide's and still nowt!

TomJerry 21:13 29 May 2004

because it conflicts with some cd/dvd writing softwares. Just clcik properties of drive and on cd-recording, untick it.

jonnytub 21:15 29 May 2004

do you mean imapi, already switched off ??

stalion 21:18 29 May 2004

TomJerry is talking about xp's burning software.Regards

jonnytub 21:19 29 May 2004

i'll be back in a tick, just checking grey george's link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?