My wireless internet isn't working

jsauder 03:20 19 Jan 2006

Hi everyone I am new here but I have a problem that has been bothering me for a couple weeks. I just moved into an appartment with a couple guys that both have laptops and are able to connect to the internet easily. I went out and bought a USB wireless card thing. Im able to find the network that my roomates log onto and I'm able to connect to it. but when I try to get online... I can't. Here is one more thing that might help. When I double click on the computer on the toolbar it says that I am sending packets but not recieving any. I also think it might have something to do with my default gateway but i think I have it fixed. I have it the same as my ip address.

If anyone can help I would be very greatfull. Just to let everyone know I'm not to good with computers so you might have to take me step by step.

Thanks
Joe

mgmcc 10:38 19 Jan 2006

<<< I also think it might have something to do with my default gateway but i think I have it fixed. I have it the same as my ip address. >>>

That is definitely wrong.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches the router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router.

The Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses should both be the *ROUTER'S* IP address, not your own IP address in the network. However, all of these addresses should be allocated automatically by the router, you shouldn't have to enter any of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?