My Windows 7 laptop won't connect to Internet

laptopdunce 16:09 24 Jun 2017

for me?? the geniuses who got the files out of my faulty laptop! Since getting a new windows 10 laptop my old windows 7 laptop (which was running fine) has now stopped connecting to internet, it shows the name of the network in the network centre and a strong signal icon, but the signal icon in the taskbar is only grey and wont connect to internet, so something has happened since I installed the windows 10 laptop, even talktalk cant seem to get this fixed, but I looked on google for similar problems and this came up from one site.....If you can use Ethernet but not wifi at her house and can use wifi at yours, I would first try to go under manage wireless networks and delete her router SSID and reconnect. If that does not work then try to uninstall the wifi chip from device manager and reinstall..........So I supsoect there is something wrong with how the W7 laptop actually connects to the internet, this W7 laptop will connect with the ethernet cable (but is impractical as the W7 laptop has got my printer connected in another room, So do you think it is possible to get it working again? it was fine yesterday so it cant be another faulty laptop, my alcatel phone has just logged on to the router fine and connected straight away. Hope the geniuses can help me with this one!!! thanks laptopdunce

rdave13 16:36 24 Jun 2017

Until LOTVIC OR FRUITBAT sees this post, try this , while you wait.

laptopdunce 17:23 24 Jun 2017

thanks Ive done all that and its still not connecting, though it will connect with the ethernet cable, I just sent capitals for Lotvivc & fruitbat as I felt they will prbably be the ones to understand what has gone wrong here, its all be a bloody nightmare and I am only here till tuesday. I HATE computers!!

rdave13 17:30 24 Jun 2017

OK. Shutdown all your internet devices. Reboot your router and once settled start up the Win 7 laptop. See if it connects.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 24 Jun 2017
  1. it won't connect wirelessly while you have the ethernet cable connected to it.

2. delete the wireless network profile in Windows 7:

a) Go to Start and click Control Panel.

b) Click View network status and tasks in the Control Panel window

c) The Network and Sharing Center window will display. Click Manage wireless networks. The Manage Wireless Networks window will appear, and you can see all the wireless network connection profiles that have been configured on this computer. Select the profiles you don't use anymore, and click on Remove to delete the selected profile. Probably better to remove all of them but I'm guessing you only have one.

1. Reboot the laptop

2. Follow the section to connect to a wireless connection as per this site

laptopdunce 20:18 24 Jun 2017

thanks fruitI am going to look at that in a minute, I am looking on the other thread for the zip file you sent and maybe I can send it from this windows 10 laptop to the windows 8 one, (or maybe I can open it directly on the W8 one as I think it will download on there its just that I cant use a usb mouse or keyboard on that one) thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 20:43 24 Jun 2017

Hi fruitbat, I am into network status and tasks in the W7 laptop and when I click on that it says view your active networks > you are not connected to any network currently, I cant find any previous network connections in this box BUT if I click on "chagne adaptor settings" in the left window it does bring up a window called (hang on running from room to room) "network connections" and there are THREE little icons in there, the first one is a bluetooth one, its says " bluetooth network connection,(big red cross) not connected -0 bluetooth device, Then, 2nd is Ethernet network cable unplugged (big red cross) qualcomm atheros AZ81..... and Third, (this looks interesting) there is a WIFi attempting to authenticate, and a big signal icon in green full 5 bars in green, and Qualcom Atheros AR956xWirel...

What do you think?? should I try and delete all of these?? I dont if it will let me just yet.... thanks Laptopdunce

laptopdunce 20:56 24 Jun 2017

fruitbat!!OMG OMG OMG!!! THANKYOU!!! THANKYOU!!! THANKYOU!!! Oh, God I have just DROPPED TO MY KNEES under the crucifix!! (I am not a religious nutcase really!!) but WOW!! WOw!!! Wow, I dont know how I did this but I clicked on that last 3rd "attempting to authenticate" one with the green signal icon to delete it and it said connect/reconnect, so I clicked that and then it brought up my original network name (of which there were two of them - despite it saying previous I was not connected to any networks) so I tried to delete the first same name network connection and lo and behold it deleted that one and automatically the next same name one brought up the "put in WAP key number" (which I had written down on a piece of paper off the back of the router!!) and WOW WOW WOW!!! its connected!! - i am wondering if I will be able to do this on the windows 8 laptop now (that one is currently on the ethernet cable) - what do you think?? THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN, so glad you are Lotvic are there!! (if I could get the usb ports working again on the W8 laptop I could take that to family in The Netherlands and use it there as a reserve to replace a very old Sony very slow on, OMG, I cant believe it!! laptopdunce

laptopdunce 21:00 24 Jun 2017

PS, shall I take the ethernet cable out of the W8 one and try to do this again on the W8 one, will it be the same routine, start>controlpanel>view network status> and find the ones that were there before and delete them, shut it down and restart and see if it brings anything up in the task bar? (its not even showing a grey un-hihglted signal icon in the task bar of the W8 one - but it did have a dark grey signal bar with a yellow star in it on the W7 one) thnaks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 22:08 24 Jun 2017

Fruitbat, tried to get the W8 laptop to connect to wifi but when I go into network connections in that laptop it brings up two connections, one is the name of my network with the 5 full bar green singal icon and the other the ethernet connection, I can only click on "disable this connection" so I did that on my own network wifi name and then tried to delete it, but when I click on "orgainize" and "deliete" it brings up a window saying "are you sure you want to delete network" and i click yes and then it brings up a window saying "error deleting connection" and a big yellow triangle with " the connection you selected cannot de deleted" - so I dont know what to do with the W8 laptop to get that working on the router on wifi?? thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 14:25 25 Jun 2017

Sunday! Fruitbat & lotvic, I will keep all the posts on this thread now, Well, I opened the W8 laptop without any internet today, I tried to open the "set up" folder for the chipset drivers I downloaded from the Acer site yesterday for the windows 8.1 system and again it went through all the Intel set up wizard and then at the end brought up a window with "file copying was not successful, set up will exit. So I have not got anywhere with that method and I get that Forbidden message from the first link for the Chipset. I tried to delete the network named signal icon again, both disabled and enabled the computer will not allow me to delete this network icon, its asks you if you are certain you want to delete "network & name) and I click "yes" and then it brings up a window saying again"the connection you selected cannot be deleted"... so not getting anywhere with that either - I do find it very odd that it isnt possible to delete the network name as there MUST be a way to make the sytem completely clear, it just doesnt make sense to me!! But Thank GOD I managed to get the W7 laptop on again, very important as that is my printer connected laptop for documents and boarding passes etc., thanks Laptopdunce

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires