My wifes computer keep re-starting itself

strangelymade 18:05 27 Dec 2013

I am a complete novice when it comes to computers, but with plain instructions I can do most things.

As per the title, my wifes PC keeps retstarting itself evry minute or so. It's using windows xp service pack 3 and hat's about all I know. Al I can tell you is that it gets these messages up on screen First message

Second message

can't find out what those codes mean on the internet, and all else I can really tell you is that we used an air duster to clean the inside to make sure that it wasn't dirt causing it, and I have cheacked for viruses using the instructions on the microsoft site as well as running our anti virus programs. And lastly the computer runs ok in safe mode, but my wife can not connect to the internet while in safe mode. Thing is this is the computer with lots of pcitures and ducoments on and we've been lax in backing them up so we don't want to have to lose them. Any advice welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 27 Dec 2013

First try

Start - Run - type

chkdsk /f

press enter

if no better then

Follow the instruction at here to diagnose the problem

mrwoowoo 18:56 27 Dec 2013

You can choose the option "safe mode with networking" when you get the safe mode screen. Then you can access the internet. The fact that it works in safe mode would indicate that it is a softwsre problem. Have you installed any new software lately? If so, when in safe mode type"msconfig" into the start menu, and click on the start up tab. Disable any software from the start menu that doesn't need to run,and then click apply, and restart the PC. You can then add a programme back to the start menu on each reboot to see if you can find the offender.

bumpkin 20:35 27 Dec 2013

If you can get net access, download and run CCleaner. Sorry no link for you. Maybe someone else can paste one. Your second message sounds like a registry issue. CCleaner may help.

mrwoowoo 21:30 27 Dec 2013

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?