My Video Files has changed their Format

mcheathen 12:00 08 Jun 2008

I reinstalled my system files on my PC which involved formating C:\ drive. I saved all my video files (mostly mpegs) to external hard drive. For some weird reason they have changed format into something which can't be played. One of them does not even have a format.

How can I fix this?

chub_tor 14:46 08 Jun 2008

Are you running XP or Vista? You need to get to Folder Options in amy Windows Explorer window so that you can show File Extensions. For Vista this is Organise, Folder and Search Options, View Tab and untick Hide File Extensions for Known File Types. For XP you can access Folder Options from any Explorer Window under View (I think).

If you then use Explorer on your external drive you will then see the file extensions of your video files and can see if they are mpeg. If they are you have a File Association problem and you just need to right click on one of them and alter the Open With command to the one that you normally use for viewing your movie files.

If they really have changed their extension to something other than mpg you can always try renaming one of them with the mpg extension and see if it plays.

mcheathen 15:13 08 Jun 2008

I am running XP. Renaming and opening with a different media player does not make much difference. Other than that I am no getting the sound and a message saying 'downloading codec error'.

BTW these videos played perfectly before.

chub_tor 15:21 08 Jun 2008

First the no sound and codec problem... have you checked the sound device under Device Manager to see if you have a yellow exclamation mark? And if so have you tried to update the sound driver?

Second when you looked at the file extension what was it?

mcheathen 15:23 08 Jun 2008

The sound is OK! its the video that I am not receiving and I changed the extension to mpeg.

eedcam 15:54 08 Jun 2008

You could download G spot Yes Gspot its free and should identify the format and what codecs it needs
click here

mcheathen 16:33 08 Jun 2008

Thanks eedcam I ran G spot and it identified the following missing codacs on two of the films:
4CC - xvid, Name - XviD
and on one of the other films
4CC - H264, Name - ITU H.26n

I expect that all the other films will be similar, so where exactly can I obtain these codecs.

mcheathen 16:50 08 Jun 2008

Problem solved! Thanks for all the help. I got XP codac pack from:
click here

eedcam 18:01 08 Jun 2008

Glad you'resorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?