My Site

megankate15 16:03 09 May 2003

I have my very own site,and im very proud of it.This is really my first attempts at a site,however its my secound version(I had it on the same URL before,but with different layout etc).
Its been open since round about the 4th December,and im always learning new HTML and adding stuff and so on.
I recently decided to advertise my site on Freeserves forum,but i found myself getting some quite nasty criticism about it.
I can deal with criticism about my site,but i really want to know why you are criticising,so if you dont like it,please tell me why,it makes it alot easier for me to understand,and at least i can learn from my mistakes.
Anyway enough of me blabbing,please visit my site
click here
And tell me exactly what you think!Thanks x

stlucia 16:20 09 May 2003

A few (constructive, I hope) comments:-

* Nice layout.
* When I loaded it, I got a message inviting me to load an extra bit of software -- annoying.
* Black text on purple background (a couple of the headings) is not very readable.
* Dark coloured scroll bar is difficult to see.
* There's a white rectangle with no text in it at the head of the page. Perhaps that's because I didn't load the extra software.

Perhaps you'll get some more feedback now I've started the ball rolling.

recap 16:23 09 May 2003

"youre" without the e on the end.

The contact section bottom left, the entry windows are too dark, people with poor eye sight will have difficulty seeing what they have typed.
This also applies to all your headings the text is too dark.

Other than that, I don't see anything else wrong with it.

IanNiblock 16:29 09 May 2003

I like the layout of the site - it is not too cluttured and looks quite smart. I agree with stlucia in that the download request is annoying - and the software that it is trying to get you to download is from Gator so more than likely some form of Adware!

One comment about the 'News' section - there is a lot of text in a very thin column down the left hand side of the page and a large blank space in the center - this may look better if it were placed at the top, in the center of the page.

Apart from that - very well done, a tidy site, but don't fall into the same trap as many budding web developers and try to put too much fancy stuff on there - I often find the sites that impress me most are those that have plenty of info, and are easy to navigate (as yours is), don't try and make it too flashy in the future, instead maybe spend your time adding more information and keeping it up to date.

As a final remark, I have used click here for hosting websites before - they have a free package that you can register for and do not impose any pop-up ads or banners on your site.

Hope this helps.

MartinT-B 16:30 09 May 2003

You have the basics. Certainly better than me :)

It's a bit too purple and peach for my taste, but it appears to be aimed at girls not boys!

I have 1 or 2 (hopefully) constructive points to make.

1) MOST IMPORTANT! Please, Please Please copy your text into word and use spell-check and Grammar check. There are a LOT of basic spelling and layout problems. For example:

Galleries, not Gallerys | Share Your Views, not Youre | Merchandise not Merchandice. (There are many more)

There should be spaces after an exclamation point, comma or full stop.

2) It's very difficult to see what you're typing in the email me box. It's all a bit small. Can you create a link so that when you click on email me you get taken to another page with a bigger box to type in? Alternatively, move it underneat and make it wider. The size if these boxes is ideal. Also Black type on Purple Background is difficult to see with 20/20 vision. If I had poor eyesight I'd give up.

3) I haven't looked for long - I'll have a good look later tonight when I get home - but there appear to be many pictures. If it's a GG site, surely your vistors will want to look at him :)

anchor 16:33 09 May 2003

Basically a nice site, but I object to be asked to download something from Gator, which appears to be linked to advertising. Might be spyware too.

I appreciate one can click "no", but I would try to get rid of it. This sort of thing puts me off.

MartinT-B 16:34 09 May 2003

Correction (I should have used Spell check too - LOL)

2) ....The sizes OF these boxes is ideal.... By that I mean the boxes you type in to post on this forum.

3) There DON'T appear to be...

Andsome 16:41 09 May 2003

I go along with the others, I would not touch Gator with a bargepole. You really must also check your spelling and grammar, and learn where to put an apostrophe. Such as they're going out.

Having said that I would not even know where to start, and I think that you have done very well. Just tidy things up a bit.

MartinT-B 16:51 09 May 2003

(Boss has gone so I can continue!)

Lyrics page.

All a bit too 'blocky' Unfortunately formatting on these boards is not easy.

My suggestion. Lyrics link takes you to a page with Song Titles which are hyperlinked to the actual lyrics. Lyrics should be formatted to look like a poem

NOT

Spirit in the Sky
When I die and they lay me to rest Gonna go to the place that's the best When I lay me down to die Goin' up to the Spirit in the sky I'm goin' up to the Spirit in the sky That's where I'm gonna go when I die When I die and they lay me to rest I'm gonna go to the place that's the best

But

Spirit in the Sky

When I die and they lay me to rest

Gonna go to the place that's the best

When I lay me down to die

Goin' up to the Spirit in the sky

I'm goin' up to the Spirit in the sky

That's where I'm gonna go when I die

When I die and they lay me to rest

I'm gonna go to the place that's the best

(Used double spaces to ensure I got lines separated)

MartinT-B 16:59 09 May 2003

Damn - see what I mean about formatting here!

Been back and Viewed Source on your lyrics page. All lyrics are layed out in notepad in correct format BUT you forgot to put a <br> at the end of each line.

The Spires 17:02 09 May 2003

It's a pity he is not as good looking as I am however, :-) nice site; I think you should acknowledge the original writer on the lyrics section though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?