My shell stops unexspectedly and restarts!!!

bretsky 22:02 17 Apr 2004

Hi folks, I had hoped I would get an answer from an earlier thread on this one.

I have winxp home ed SP1 IE6 and for the past two weeks my system now crashes when I close down windows explorer. Event viewer says "The shell stopped unexspectedly and explorer.exe was restarted" source is winlogon.

When I close down windows explorer,and click on my dailup connection icon or window explorer again the pc freezes and then all the desktop icons vanish leaving just the wallpaper for about two seconds and then back to normal.

Up to date with Virus definitions with Nav also went on line to do a live scan with PCcillin to get a second opinion which said no infection found!

Done Ad-aware and spybot s+d scans which showed up 25 objects, which have been quarantined.

Can't use system restore, Ramdisk has put pay to that so it really is a case of process of elimination.

Apart from this, everything works normal.

Dell dimension 4300, Win xp home ed Sp1 1gb sdram 2xHDD 180gb parallel ATA Nav 2002 oem, Z/A firewall,NEC DVD Rewriter intergrated sound and graphics.

Any ideas, links etc etc

many thanx

bretsky ;0)

AL D. 22:17 17 Apr 2004

firstly remove ramdisk as it is not compatable with xp using NTFS . then if you have your xp cd, go to start/run/and type sfc /scannow and dont forget the space between sfc and /scannow, you will need your xp cd.in the cd rom

bretsky 22:39 17 Apr 2004

Thanx for the swift reply AL D.

Just uninstalled ramdisk so will let you know how my pc reacts now. shame about the ramdisk!!!

Many thanx again.

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 15:07 18 Apr 2004

Forgive me if the box is not ticked, but I am not going to know if the problem has been resolved yet as my pc has not been well for about 2/3 weeks now.

Will let you know here or I will post a new thread.

I live in hope

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?