Is my router broken?

dmcd11 09:17 17 Jan 2010

I have a belkin wireless G plus router

for weeks now I keep losing my internet connection. It tends to go off for a few seconds then come back on again.

It is really annoying and is getting more frequent and the time more lengthy

I have contacted my service provider (Virgin) and they say there are no problems on my line.

My son's laptop has a very poor signal and can often not connect enough to play a game

How can I test if my router is broken? (I am a beginner) could it be anything else? any suggestions what I can do? thank you

mgmcc 09:34 17 Jan 2010

Presumably the loss of connection you're experiencing is the wireless signal between the computer(s) and the router, rather than Virgin's service itself?

Interference can cause this sort of problem and changing the Channel number with which the router broadcasts can help. With a computer connected to the router by ethernet cable, *NOT* wirelessly, open its configuration pages by typing its IP address of 192.168.2.1 into your web browser. In its Wireless settings, you should see an entry for the Channel number. The most commonly used numbers are "6" and "11", so try using one of these or, if already using one, try the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017