is my R9 280x going to get too hot

xDiiSTRiiCTz 16:03 01 Nov 2013

Hi, I recently got my new computer which packs an R9 280x. I have a great case that has good ventilation. My question is, will or is my GPU getting too hot as part of the left hand side fan is being obstructed by my Wirless card. When gaming on the highest setting ie Blacklight Retribution, my gpu can reach up to about 70 degrees. I know I can adjust the fan speed but should I have to

Ian in Northampton 16:58 01 Nov 2013

That sounds way too hot. I'm assuming you can't move stuff around inside the case to improve ventilation - in which case, I'd suggest you swap out your PCI wifi card for a USB wifi dongle. In my experience, they work just as well.

retep888™ 17:07 01 Nov 2013

<< my gpu can reach up to about 70 degrees......will or is my GPU getting too hot >>

No, it'll be alright as it can go up to 90°C or more just make sure you have an onscreen program which can show you the instant temperature so as you can check it from time to time.

Ian in Northampton 20:33 01 Nov 2013

retep888™: I stand corrected - I'm amazed. I just checked here, and NVIDIA GPUs are designed to withstand up to 105 degrees or so. I note also that, if the driver senses it's too hot, it will throttle back performance - and if that doesn't help, it'll close the system down to prevent GPU damage. Wow...

Ian in Northampton 20:34 01 Nov 2013

I assume, btw, that Radeon GPUs are similar.

rdave13 20:53 01 Nov 2013

70 degrees isn't too bad for a GPU under load, about average really. Do you hear the fan running faster, if so ,its doing its job. You could play abut with Afterburner and supply your own fan settings. Worth a read anyway.

xDiiSTRiiCTz 13:41 02 Nov 2013

Thanks guy, you really helped. I found and article yesterday and it made me remember that when using dual video cards,one is stacked bang over the top of the other and don't get too hot. I don't think my WIFI card needs to be taken out then. It's not actually physically touching the fan, there's about 1-2 cm of space between.

retep888™ 14:06 02 Nov 2013

<< I found and article yesterday and it made me remember that when using dual video cards,one is stacked bang over the top of the other and don't get too hot >>

Not true, I've 2xGTX680 in Sli in one of the power PCs ,the top one (main card) is hotter than the bottom one .I'd to put a 200mm side panel fan to blow cool air directly to both cards for cooling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?