My pictures will not open

Rodz 21:00 28 Jun 2007

Hi,
All of a sudden I cannot open my pictures.
Click on start then my pictures and the folders are there showing the format of four selected pictures from each of the folders but when I click on the folder it opens the individual photos with just a design instead of the picture.
Above the picture area it says "no preview"
It did used to open them in "fax and picture viewer" which I think is the windows default programme.
Wat have I done?
Thanks
Rodz

skidzy 21:13 28 Jun 2007

System Restore Rod ?

Have you loaded any photo/dvd software recently ?

brundle 21:32 28 Jun 2007

Enable Picture and Fax Viewer

Go to Start/Run and type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll or regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

To get a new copy: EXPAND X:\i386\shimgvw.dl_C:\Windows\system32\shimgvw.dll

If you disabled the fax/picture viewer by using regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll, then changing user icons fail to work: You need to re-load the dll and it will work. Have only tried this w/ XP Pro. Reload by typing in regsvr32 shimgvw.dll.

iscanut 22:03 28 Jun 2007

When you right click on a picture file, what do you see under "Open with" ? You should be able to select from Windows Picture Viewer as well as any other pic viewing programs you may have installed.

Rodz 10:19 29 Jun 2007

Hi Nuts,
Still messing with Brundles advice.
When I click on the graphic which should be a picture it is showing a half screen size windows picture and fax viewer but across the middle it says "no preview available"
Thanks
Rodz

Rodz 20:51 29 Jun 2007

Hi,
Just remembered something which could have some significance.
A few days ago I thought I had better back up my pictures and put a CD Rewritable disc in the disc drive, they are quite old discs and are only 650MB. I remember it saying something like the disc did not have enough memory to do the task. I checked if it had put any of the pictures onto the disc and it hadn`t.
I put the task aside to go and buy some blank DVDs.
I havn`t done anything with the pictures since until I wanted to look at some particular pictures and couldn`t open them as in my first post.
Is it of any significance?
Rodz

Rodz 10:54 30 Jun 2007

Hi,
Still struggling, I decided to try to open my pictures up in another programme, I chose Microsoft office picture manager.
When I try to open up the pictures in this programme all I get is a little red cross in a square in the middle of the page.
Thanks
Rodz

Rodz 14:07 08 Jul 2007

Hi,
Sorry to resurect this one.
Some one suggested useing "Zero digital image recovery" to check if my picture files had been corrupted.
I ran it, it took six hours and filled my hard drive which was two thirds free is now full.
I want to run system restore to hopefully sort this one out but it takes 200mb to run it and I have none.
I have tried to delete programmes from add/remove programmes in the control panel to get some space back. Office is ideal as it is 360mb but it will not remove any programmes possibly there is nothing to run it with.
Any ideas how I can get 200mb back to run "system restore"
Rodz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017