My Pictures Crashing with send to MS message

Awestruck 16:35 02 Nov 2007

My Pictures folder crashes when opened from shortcut or from any other method. A 'Send to Microsoft' box appears but MS never replies.
Event viewer shows explorer.exe error and pinpoints the following file:

faulting module mpeg2dmx.ax

Any body know how to cure this?

Best wishes

Awestruck

Technotiger 17:05 02 Nov 2007

Hi, do a search for mpeg2dmx.ax then rename it to mpeg2dmx.ax.old this should stop the error message.

Pineman100 18:28 02 Nov 2007

When you send a problem report to Microsoft, they never reply - it doesn't work like that. You're info is just adding to a statistical database.

So don't worry - it's nothing personal. ;-)

Awestruck 11:16 03 Nov 2007

(1) Thank you both for your very prompt replies. I will act on your advice after I have asked another question.
Just after I sent the plea for help on behalf of a friend, I found two additional clues in the Event Viewer for the same date and time as the mpeg2dmx.ax clue I originally sent you.
They were:
Faulting App: acrord32.exe faulting module unknown.
Faulting App: waol.exe, faulting module moc3260.dll
The 'crashing of the My Pictures' folder is on a friend's computer and he uses AOL.
The problem started after he downloaded some rubbish called SmartSounds QuickTracks which I have now uninstalled.
(2)I have allowed MS to reinstate deletd files quite often, is there a list of Windows files that can be deleted safely to allow Windows to reinstate good versions?
Best wishes
Awestruck

Pineman100 13:38 04 Nov 2007

Sorry, I'm not qualified to answer that. Hopefully Technotiger will come back - he's pretty whizzy.

Technotiger 14:16 04 Nov 2007

acrord32 is to do with Acrobat Reader - I would uninstall Acrobat, then run CCleaner and if you want Acrobat Reader (for pdf's) you can re-download and re-install it click here
for more info re acrord32 ...
click here

I don't like or use Adobe products though, they can be very CPU hungry and slow your PC to a crawl.

I don't use AOL, another one I don't like, and very difficult to get rid off if/when you want to change.

Perhaps a System Restore might sort your friends problems, back to before things started getting screwed up.

Awestruck 20:41 06 Nov 2007

Yippee! Renaming the file worked a treat.
Thank you technotiger. I am the local IT tutor and technician and I have just launched a help website in which I recommend contacting you brilliant people. It is colycomputerhelp.co.uk perhaps you could find time to peek at it and let me know what you think.

Best wishes

Awestruck

Pineman100 13:07 08 Nov 2007

>I am the local IT tutor and technician <

Hmmm - do you think Technotiger might be better qualified for that job? ;-)

Awestruck 18:11 08 Nov 2007

Yes, he might well be better qualified in some areas such as trouble shooting, but I also have 25 years experience, teaching, trouble shooting, web design and programming. I started when one computer filled a warehouse. My help website is based on the itemsI am most often called out to fix or teach. As I am now rather ancient I hope that it will reduce my work load.

Best wishes

Awestruck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?