Is My PC Vista Ready

al7478 15:22 21 Jan 2007

I know already that in theory my system is Vista ready but I thought I'd canvas opinion amongst some more experienced users just to be sure - if it is'nt I'll do some upgrades before i get it.

Last summer i purchased a Dell Dimension 5100:

1 gig RAM
2.8 dual core processor
160 hard drive
On board graphics and sound (sorry, I do'nt really understand graphics and sound cards).

I only really use it for listening to music and standard internet/email stuff, and occassionally watch youtube and other short stuff on it. I dont do movies or games. So although it is 7.1 surround sound capable, I just have some Logitech Z2300 2.1 stereo speakers and I'm happy with those.

I'm most likely to get Home Premium, and possibly upgrade to Ultimate at some later stage. Incidentally, does anyone know how much that'll cost with the upgrade feature that comes built in to the Vista OS - Vista Upgrade Anytime?

Thanks.

brundle 16:02 21 Jan 2007
  al7478 16:19 21 Jan 2007

Thanks for that ive already run such tests and they seem to suggest my system is up to snuff, but I just wondered if others agree.

spuds 16:41 21 Jan 2007

If you have run such tests and they suggest that your system, which it appears to be, can run Vista. Then what's the problem, nobody can give you much better advice than the Microsoft download or a similar programme.

If anything is picked up as lacking, then it usually comes down to graphics. You say that you are not into gaming, so that possibly rules out an unnecessary graphics upgrade, until you venture further.

al7478 16:44 21 Jan 2007

Many thanks!

Europa 20:54 21 Jan 2007

2 gigs of RAM would be better for running Vista.

pennyben 12:38 22 Jan 2007

Why would you want to move to Vista so early? If you have XP SP2 stay with that until the first maintenance pack is released.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?