My PC thinks my 8GB hard drive is only 4GB

gomez no es muchos 10:37 22 Jan 2004

Am running Windows 98SE, when i run MSInfo32.exe my system information shows my 8GB second (slave)hard drive as having a capacity of only 4GB..

I ran fdisk and and it shows:

Hard Drive 2: 4GB 50% usage FAT32

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am tring to write more data to the disk but windows pops up a message saying low space do you want to run disk cleanup.

I THINK I found a related artical in MS support pages, but being somewhat of a novice the i dont know how to manually change the information showing in system information (msinfo32.exe).the ms link ive been reading is:

click here;en-us;195902&Product=w98

the drive is definately 8Gb, DOS recognises it but windows doesnt.

help....

TBH1 10:48 22 Jan 2004

this disc ain't partitioned by any chance is it ?

gomez no es muchos 10:57 22 Jan 2004

as far as i know it isnt, but as i said, im fairly novice..

i dont think so, when i enter setup (F2)when booting up it shows the drive as correct capacity.

fdisk shows 1 partition of 8GB on the drive but then sais 4GB 50% usage FAT32..

whats the 50% usage mean in fdisk?

TBH1 12:22 22 Jan 2004

doesn't mean used 4gb which is 50% does it - - what happens if you select the drive, from 'my computer', right click and select properties ??? Shoeld tell you capacity and frre/ used space.

gomez no es muchos 12:54 22 Jan 2004

yeah it says 4GB and ive used about 3.8GB hence the problems..

after a bit of searching i have found others with similar problem, am waiting to hear about a solution though.. i am going to download partition magic and see if this can sort it out..

all in all though i am confident this is a known problem, but as previuosly stated the solution is out there its just a matter of finding it..

if anyone has seen related articles id appreciate the link..

©®@$? 12:58 22 Jan 2004

lokks like that partition for your 8gb drive is set to 50% not one 100%

gomez no es muchos 18:08 22 Jan 2004

how do i change the partition to 100%?

©®@$? 18:18 22 Jan 2004

you cannot do it through fdisk without loosing your data, as you will have to delete and create a new partition

if you have partition magic you can resize the partition

gomez no es muchos 18:19 22 Jan 2004

will i lose data useing partition magic?

ive never used it before

TBH1 01:32 23 Jan 2004

I think easiest way is to copy your data from slave to master, fdisk slave and set up partition to full 8gb, then maybe copy back - - -this don'y help you none if you ain't got space on your primary drive, of course.
I think Partition Magic will allow you to resize without losing your stuff - - you'll need to read up on it.

gomez no es muchos 09:11 23 Jan 2004

partition magic fixed in about 5 minutes.. resized partition to 8GB for no loss of data.

ta for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)