my pc shuts down and beeps

dfghjkl 19:44 20 Aug 2006

hi,my sons pc is playing up,it is an epox 8k5a2+ motherboard with a 1700+ cpu.when you turn it on it starts up ok then after 5 minutes it shuts down and makes a beeping noise,a high pitched beep followed by a lower beep then high pitch etc.i thought it was a heat issue but i have opened the side but still the same,there is a digital readout that says "FF"when it is working ok but when it shuts down everything is dead apart from the beeps.can anyone help please,thanks.

woodchip 20:09 20 Aug 2006

Try reseating Memory

brundle 20:33 20 Aug 2006

the first page of the manual suggests FFh can indicate a number of problems;
manual here click here

dfghjkl 22:26 20 Aug 2006

thanks,i have tried to reseat the memory so i guess it is a new moherboard,i guessed as much but i did not want to get one and then find out it is the cpu,thanks,peter.

DieSse 22:45 20 Aug 2006

This type of "two-tone" beeping is usually a fan alarm, a heat alarm, or a power supply alarm (one of the DC voltages out of specification.)

FF code means a boot attempt - so if it shows FF when it's working normally, I would thing that's what it should show.

DieSse 22:48 20 Aug 2006

Look in the BIOS to see if you can see what the temperatures and fan speeds are after you restart. If not, I would think the PSU is the first thing to suspect.

Of try Everest, and look at the temperatires, fan speeds and voltages whiile it's working - you'll probably see what's running too close to the shutdown limits.

click here

brundle 22:54 20 Aug 2006

Taking the side off a PC that has inadequate cooling can sometimes exacerbate the problem

DieSse 23:01 20 Aug 2006

Ah - I see on the first page of the manual it does say FF indictes problems - this seems very strange, however, if it boots and works while showing FF, I would still suspect another reason for the beeps, as above.

dfghjkl 21:26 22 Aug 2006

hi,i have a spare psu i think i will try it and at least i can eliminate it.

dfghjkl 20:09 23 Aug 2006

hi,i turned it on and went into bios to check temps and it ran all night so could it be the hard drive overheating?thanks peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?