my PC reset

theDarkness 13:13 07 Mar 2005

I was moaning before about weird clicking noises from my machine, possibly the hd with xp installed. I had left the machine on for a fair no of hrs last night and I noticed that the machine reset itself for no good reason.. does this also happen with failing hard drives? Its the first time the system has ever reset on me so Ill assume its not down to a high temp, for instance. Thanks for any help

Graham ® 13:42 07 Mar 2005

Look in Event Viewer:

To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer. Click System.

Select an event, Action, Properties.

theDarkness 14:23 07 Mar 2005

cheers, around the time it reset before I switched the machine off, it states 3 messages- "log event log service was started", then "system 2 uniprocessor free" followed by "log event log service was stopped" a few seconds after.
Checking the error message logs it mentions truevector interlog files/engine having a fault after the reset and having to be deleted, I assume this is because the unexpected reset has corrupted them? It doesnt seem to say what exactly caused the reset, although I assume it could be my hd Im not entirely sure

theDarkness 14:30 07 Mar 2005

sorry I mean "service pack 2 uniprocessor free" as the message, not system pack! -thats me not paying attention as usual :D

Graham ® 14:39 07 Mar 2005

You should get the opportunity to submit to Microsoft. Try that.

phono 15:02 07 Mar 2005

When you say it reset itself, do you mean your PC spontaneously rebooted itself or did it try to go into standby or hibernation mode?

theDarkness 18:16 07 Mar 2005

It just rebooted itself- I suppose the service pack 2 message could be due to a fault in the update on my system, or even a badly downloaded update. Im more inclined to think its more to do with my dodgy hd running xp though since it may have begun to click for no reason on occassion.

phono 18:41 07 Mar 2005

If your HD is making funny noises that it never made before I would replace it immediately. If you do it before it gives up the ghost completely you may be able to copy everything across to a new drive, including the windows installation.

Most HD manufacturers have utilities to allow you to do this fairly easily, Maxtor have the Maxblast software for instance.

theDarkness 18:57 07 Mar 2005

If it is the hd then Ill probably just wait until it gives up the ghost, since Ive got everything I need to keep already backed up onto disc or on my other hd already (luckily). What might be worth including is that I have only had this Time pc for 2 yrs, yet the first motherboard had to be replaced after 12 months. The new one is also a VIA, and I may be making the mistake in believing that the system can run for many hrs without having to switch off as I tend to leave it on for many hrs.. perhaps my pc just heats up far too easily, which may have killed the old mb as well as my current hd and mb, which may be going the same way?

I would give my machine to the local pc repair shop to check, but from my past experiences they seem to know less than I do regarding problems like this, and rely on guesswork, replacing parts which they believe 'may' be wrong (£££!)rather than working out exactly what it is. Has anyone tried PC World and have any experience with how good/xpensive their repair work can be? Yes, thats the VERY last resort!

I would give it to a repair store as I am not 100% sure the noises are coming from the hd, although I cant think where else a loud double click once every 3 days or so could be coming from on the pc.
I have replaced the PSU (Time default 100W to a 480W) and the click still remains. I have taken out the extra hd and the click still turns up, so at least I know which hd it isnt (so all my data is now backed up onto that one!). I was sure once that the case fan stopped and started when I first heard the noise, yet after replacing the PSU and making 100% sure the cabled were connected properly I still have problems. I have had my machine reset recently as u know and errors popping up on occassion (system tells me I have to exit certain programs, or will reset in 30 secs) so it surely must be the hd with xp. What do u think?

cheers for the info

phono 20:14 07 Mar 2005

When you say you hear a loud double click once every three days or so, is it definitely coming from inside the PC case and not from your speakers? Is it possible the click is coming from the internal PC speaker?

With regards to leaving your computer on for long periods and VIA motherboards, I also have a VIA motherboard and my system has often been on for many hours, I have actually used it for periods in excess of 8 hours when trying to catch up on OU course work, at least twice it has been used for almost 16 hours.

In all those times I have never had a problem with it, although I have to admit, I have cooling fans for the HD and a case fan at the rear drawing air across the CPU as well as the normal CPU and power supply fans.

A previous PC I owned, a Packard Bell, used to work fine until a 3D game was loaded and had been running for a while when it would suddenly reboot itself. I found out it was an overheating problem by going into the BIOS as soon as it rebooted and checking the CPU temperature which then showed higher than normal. I managed to cure this using a case fan venting to the rear of the case and drawing air across the CPU, it never crashed again after that, hence the reason I now fit case fans to any computer I build.

With modern CPUs and graphics cards producing more and more heat, efficient cooling is extremely important, get youself some software to monitor your CPU temp and see how your system is running.

Technotiger 20:37 07 Mar 2005

Hi, I have just had what appears to be exactly the same fault - my pc shutdown unexpectedly and immediately re-booted itself - this happened four times in immediate succession, after haveing the previous day done it just the once.

I cured the fault today by fitting a new PSU. Now working ok.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?