My PC is randomly shutting down on me

watershadow 18:55 29 Jul 2007

I've been having this problem for about a month or two now, and it's becoming a problem. While I'm using what seems like any program - IE, Firefox, MS Word, Photoshop, my computer's screen goes black an appears to go into sleep mode. However, I can't take it out of sleep mode, and have to unplug the computer and then turn it back on, losing all my information.

I've run several anti-virus, spyware and system registry programs, and none has found a problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Strawballs 18:58 29 Jul 2007

It could be that it needs a good clean out of dust if you don't mind taking the side off and getting in there with a soft brush or better still a can of conpressed air especially around the heat sink.

woodchip 19:01 29 Jul 2007

As above sounds like CPU overheating, Could also be PSU problem. But most likely is CPU problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 29 Jul 2007

1 overheat - check all fans runing and clean out

2. Psu staring to fail

3. memory problems - Memory Test
click here
click here

Toonarmy23179 09:49 30 Jul 2007

I think my PC is a bit of a wuss. During summer I have to run my PC with the side panel off. Otherwise it overheats every 20 minutes or so and switches off. I really should get it seen to and maybe replace the fan.

I don't know if anybody else knows any more about this but I wonder if it's the power supply that cuts out rather than the cpu???

umbongo(uk) 10:38 30 Jul 2007

depending on the size of your case you can fit 2 fans with ease

or as you suggest it may be the psu over heating and auto cutting off

any idea what proccessor your using ,as the older intel p4 were notorious for heat

what size case you got smalltower atx
mini atx tower etc

if there are any fixing inside to apply a fan, try that (youll see the grill inside the case for them usualy one below hdd bay and one at the back below the psu it should suck from the one below hdd bay then blow from the other ,out of the case)also check your motherboard for fan power jacks to apply or it means buying a molex coupling

Strawballs 16:08 30 Jul 2007

At the risk of hijacking this thread, have you ever taken the heatsink fan off and cleaned out all the dust that can clog between the cooling fins and the rest of the inside of the case.

hiwatt 16:14 30 Jul 2007

Just an idea,if you go to control pannel and power options make sure that the options to turn off system stand by and hibernate are set to NEVER.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?