My PC is Randomly restarting with no blue screen (0x8000000000000002)

Jonboywalton82 22:39 22 Jul 2013

Hi guys,

I really hope you can help with this as I'm at the end of my tether, I've been suffering with my PC randomly switching off and restarting as if the power has been cut and switched back on. It's been going on for around 3 months now. (ERROR MESSAGE FROM EVENT VIEWER POSTED AT BOTTOM OF POST)

My system specs are as follows....

CPU: i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz

Motherboard: P8P67-M

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8gb (2x4Gb) (Was 16gb with XMS Corsair 2x4Gb)

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5770 1Gb (Was Nvidia GTX 560ti 1Gb)

PSU: 650w Corsair (Was AVENGE 850w)

I first thought it might be my PSU not handling the load as I had an AVENGE 850w (I knew it was a cheap make so I swapped it out for a more reputable brand hence the Corsair 650w) but it still kept restarting.

I then thought it might be my RAM as I had 16Gb installed by 2 different makes 2x4Gb Corsair XMS and 2x4Gb Kingston Hyper X, I ram MemTEST x86 all night and the PC came back with 0 Errors. So I tried running my system with just the Corsair XMS and then the Kingston Hyper X but still getting the restarts.

I then tried swapping out the GFX Card from my Nvidia GTX 560ti to the RADEON 5770 just to see whether it was that but.......you guessed it....still restarting!

I've checked my Temps by using some temperature checking software (RealTemp60, CoreTemp64) They seem to have came back OK, Motherboard hitting aroung 36c, CPU sitting aroung 46c idle and aroung 70c full load.

It seems to be restarting most when I'm running a program that requires the fans to hit full load for a prolonged time which gives me the thought that its temp related but my temps seem fine OR its my CPU deciding to die?!

I have reseated the CPU since I had thought there might be something a little off with the water cooler not sitting right and one of the cores might be overheating but it seemed OK and i replaced the thermal paste and gave the machine a good clean. Still restarting.

So.....here's the Error I'm getting from my event viewer EVERY TIME it restarts....

System

• Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-07-22T21:10:42.492008800Z

EventRecordID 2029

Correlation

• Execution

[ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Jonnie-PC

• Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

• EventData

BugcheckCode 0

BugcheckParameter1 0x0

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress false

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I really hope someone can help me here as I'm stuck in a rut.

If you need anymore info on my system or other items, let me know.

Cheers, JB.

Nontek 07:28 23 Jul 2013

Sounds as if something might be interfering with the Mains supply, though this is just a guess. Have you installed any electrical items in the near vicinity of the PC about three months ago? Or are there any electrical power systems recently constructed near your home? Perhaps you could mention the problem to your local electricity supplier.

HondaMan 11:38 23 Jul 2013

Could be almost anything including a faulty PSU. The error codes probably mean little to anyone but a Microsoft engineer, but you could try looking at their knowledge base to try and decipher them

Jonboywalton82 13:19 23 Jul 2013

Hi Nontek,

I have tried it in different sockets throughout the house and it still restarts also there's been nothing new installed in the house and no electrical work that has gone on in my area. Thanks for the advice on checking these.

Hi HondaMan,

I did check the Microsoft knowledge base for this type of error code and it states that it could be to do with the sleep/hibernate mode on the pc, I have changed these to off and left my pc running a mild stress test while I have gone to work but it still restarts.

I'm going to try running the system without the PC Case as I have read some people have fixed their problem by changing their case.

Fingers crossed!

rdave13 15:21 23 Jul 2013

Do you run the PC with any usb periferals (exept keyboard and mouse) connected? An usb hub or external drives? Try running with just printer, keyboard and mouse connected.

Jonboywalton82 16:46 23 Jul 2013

Hi rdave13,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it tonight. I currently run with a USB 3.0 Western Digital My Book connected and an occasional USB memory stick.

Will report my findings tonight. Cheers.

bumpkin 17:02 23 Jul 2013

Tricky one, if it just restarts without you pressing the on switch and there is no message, to me it suggests a very brief power drop whether from the mains or PSU.

Do you have any other devices with occasional problems? Try another PC in the same socket if that is an option.

Look at the USB ports for any obvious signs of damage and maybe disconnect them for a trial.

UPS unit as a last resort but no guarantee that is the answer

Jonboywalton82 20:22 23 Jul 2013

Hi bumpkin,

I've replaced the PSU as this was the first thing I tried, I've had numerous other electrical items using the same sockets and extension cable but they never had any sort of power issues.

I'll try disconnecting the USB ports and see what that turns out like.

Cheers, JB.

mrwoowoo 23:02 23 Jul 2013

You've tried most things, so I can only think that it could be the m/board shorting on the side of the case or a faulty power switch on the case. Are your RAM in the correct slots? i.e slots 1 and 3. Sorry if i'm stating the obvious there.(O:! If it's a self build are the reset and power pins connected correctly from case to m/board as this can case this problem. They may even be loose. You could even try pulling the reset pins off to see if it still restarts.

bumpkin 23:37 23 Jul 2013

I said UPS (uninterruptable power supply) not a typo for PSU

bumpkin 23:44 23 Jul 2013

I try to post things which seem to vanish or multiply. A UPS (unintrupted power supply) is the last chance saloon try every other option first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)