my pc is not runing the way it should HELP PLEASE

CHEECH9095 17:36 03 Apr 2006

For some reson my pc is not runing the way it should its a good pc with an amd 64 , nvidia 6600gt , a gig of ram , 200GB hard drive space , 2200 MHz , and yet my mates with has like 512 of ram , 100GB hard drive , basicly half the amount my pc has, and his is running better than mine and playing games better and my graphics card is better than his. my games are laggy if i try to run them half decently , and i have all my drivers for the cards updated. any ideas of what could be wrong ??? pleaes help if ya can its doing ma heed in.

Jackcoms 18:15 03 Apr 2006

Have you done any PC housekeeping?

skidzy 18:19 03 Apr 2006

click here
click here (registry optimiser trial version)

CHEECH9095 21:23 03 Apr 2006

ya i keep it all up to date and iv downloaded lods of things to try and speed it up and keen it out but still no luck :~

DieSse 21:34 03 Apr 2006

Do you use Norton AV or Internet security?

CHEECH9095 21:44 03 Apr 2006

yeah i use norton internet security

skidzy 21:45 03 Apr 2006

Just out of curiosty Cheech,is your system a Mesh matrix inspire ?

gudgulf 21:47 03 Apr 2006

Are you saying your pc is slower than your friends when running games at the SAME settings?

An example of the games you mean and the settings you use would help.........whilst the 6600GT is a good graphics card it is not all that fast compared with the latest top end cards.

We need to be sure you have a problem with the pc rather than just expecting too much from your graphics card.

Guide to getting the best out of an NVidia graphics card click here

You will find guides for setting up a number of games on that site too click here

CHEECH9095 21:55 03 Apr 2006

no its not skidzy and ya the kind of games im on abought is like, The godfather , battlefield 2 , age 3 , basicly all the new games but his grap card is not as good as the 6600GT im not sure what it is ill tell ya next time i ask him , but he is runing like battlefield on max and im haveing to put all my seting right down , and its not just playing games like when he is going trough his files and progs thay are loading up right away , mine has a notisable delay

Totally-braindead 22:04 03 Apr 2006

Defrag it regularly, and go with the other advice about cleaning up the system. I use ccleaner that skidsy gave you the link to. Also check whats running in the background and those you don't need to be running all the time disable. Check with your mate what Anti Virus he has, Norton is meant to be a bit of a resource hog but I must admit I never found it a problem and don't use Norton for other reasons.

If you've had the PC for some time, and have no luck with the suggestions above then what I would say is a possible cure is to format the drive, having backed up everything you want to keep. and do a clean reinstall of Windows. If you do decide to try this make absolutely sure you have all the disks you need, Windows disk, motherboard disk, and all the other bits and pieces.

This is a last option if nothing else works.

CHEECH9095 22:11 03 Apr 2006

yeah iv done all that totally i just formated it at the begining of march but still no diffrence :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017