My PC keeps re-booting

mEmo99 08:18 17 Nov 2007

When I switch my PC (with XP Home 2nd Edition) on it goes through the boot procedure and then presents me with the option of starting windows in safe mode or start normally.
Whichever I choose gets me to the Windows XP Logo screen with the blue moving progress bar, and after 1-2 seconds the PC reboots.
I've removed the CD/DVD and floppy drives, tried it with different RAM modules without any luck.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Technotiger 08:22 17 Nov 2007

This sometimes happen if your printer, scanner or other external hardware is switched on before booting. But just a chance that is all.

VoG II 08:46 17 Nov 2007

Possibly click here

mEmo99 08:58 17 Nov 2007

Thanks guys:

All external peripherals have been disconnected and when my CD/DVD drives are connected it doesn't appear that they are recognised because the CD doesn't activate during the boot procedure.
Anything else i can try?

Technotiger 09:15 17 Nov 2007

As you have been 'inside' your case, I would do a very thorough check that ALL connections are securely seated, and that all ribbon cables are on the right-way-round and fully pushed home at each end.

birdface 09:19 17 Nov 2007

Have you tried going into safe mode,[Just keep tapping F8 as your computer starts]And see if you can get in that way,You could try last good configuration if that works.Or you may have to go into the bios and change start up to Dvd and not Floppy.Something like that.

mEmo99 18:58 18 Nov 2007

All of the safe mode, the last known good and normal options present me with the same thing, windows logo page a progress bar for 2 seconds then reboot.
What i have only just been able to decipher is the information that appears on a blue screen that flashes up for a mili-second.
It gives an error pointing to:

UNMOUNTABLE_E_BOOT_VOLUME

I haven't installed any new hardware the drives that exist are the original IDE hard drive, CDRW, DVD ROM and floppy drives.
The PC reboots despite the CDRW, DVD ROM and floppy drives disconnected.

All suggestions greatfully received...

Technotiger 19:05 18 Nov 2007
  Technotiger 19:08 18 Nov 2007

Several other possible solutions here ...

click here

mEmo99 16:05 25 Nov 2007

I installed my HDD in another Pc as a slave and CHKDSK ran and repaired the drive for me. It then booted up in the original PC and i'm good to go.

Technotiger 19:53 26 Nov 2007

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?