My PC keeps hanging/Freezing need some help please

Sparkly 12:25 08 Mar 2008

Hi all been haveing a few problems lately with programmes hanging/not responding,everything can be working fine and i go to open a prog from the start menu and it will not open,if it does open then it hangs i try to shut it down through the task manager that also hangs and cannot be closed,if it does allow me to stop the process then the send error message appears telling me i tryed to close a non responsive programme send an error message? i click send and that hangs,i try to shut down and get a number of boxes appear closeing programmes that are running i.e verbose logging,Dr Watson logging all hang and i am forced to manually shut the pc down via the main button. I have looked in the event viewer upon restart and the only link i can see this allways happens after Automatic LiveUpdate Schedule this seems to be running all the time every few mins for hrs at a time. Hope someone can give some advice. Also ran Spybot, Super Antispyware,Norton Anti Virus and nothing comes back, after a restart its working fine again at the mo. Diognotic lights at the rear all showing no problems,everything is upto date and the latest versions are upto date with the spyware and anti virus.
Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP SP2, 1gig ram NIS2007 Norton GoBack

howard64 12:28 08 Mar 2008

try disabling windows update.

Sparkly 12:37 08 Mar 2008

Hi howard64 i will give that a go thanks for your suggestion.

Sparkly 12:48 08 Mar 2008

Hi again in the services box there are two Automatic Updates running the windows one is called Automatic Updates the other is the Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler from Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe" it is this one that is listed in the event viewer as Automatic LiveUpdate. Is it safe to stop this service and upate it manually? thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?