MY PC HAS STOPPED SHUTTING DOWN.

rotormota 12:05 09 Oct 2004

Help! My pc has decided to stop shutting down or restarting using the 'start bar/turn off computer windows. It will go into standby but the only way to turn it right off is by using the main power button on the base unit.

WinXP.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

keith-236785 12:24 09 Oct 2004

check the power settings in control panel/power options/advanced

in the bottom section, it should say

when i press the power button on my computer, shutdown should be selected in the drop down box.

curlylad 12:32 09 Oct 2004

Have a look here click here Hope this helps .

rotormota 13:31 09 Oct 2004

Thanks but could not see anything relevant there.

The symptoms are that after clicking 'shutdown' or 'restart' a few desktop icons vanish as if it is going to go the whole way but then it just hangs/freezes on the desktop screen.

Flippin' annoying. Just started doing it yeterday. The main power button works fine i.e pressing it for a few seconds shuts the pc down as expected.

Any more ideas anyone?

Cheers.

grobpilot 13:49 09 Oct 2004

I had this problem and it seemed to disapear after instaling Spysweeper 3.

Go to click here to download it for a free trial

rotormota 09:05 10 Oct 2004

Thanks grob & yes Spysweeper certainly picked up some pests which other scanner progs did not-very good indeed, however, the shutdown issue continues.

It doesn't even get to the blue shutdown screen, it hangs on the actual desktop image complete with icons.

Has anyone got any more ideas?

Cheers.

curlylad 10:19 10 Oct 2004

You say it will go into standby , I will guess at a power management problem , try this.
Disable power management by opening control panel , select system icon , when the system properties dialog box appears , select device manager tab , then click the '+' next to system devices , highlight advanced power management and click the properties button , when the advanced power management support properties dialog box appears , select the general tab , tick 'Disable in this hardware profile' , click OK , now try to shutdown as normal.If this fixes your problem leave the settings as you've just changed them

curlylad 10:36 10 Oct 2004

Sorry I've given you the fix for win98 , I'll have to get back to you on the XP method for this , sorry.

sattman 10:41 10 Oct 2004

This can happen when a programme has been changed and is not able then to close down properly, have you recently added, altered or adjusted any software?. You might try doing a system restore to a earlier time if you know when approximately the problem occurred.

rotormota 10:41 10 Oct 2004

Thanks curly but in system devicesthere is no advanced power management to highlight. I'm on WinXP.

curlylad 10:57 10 Oct 2004

Have you tried the help and support section ? Start , help and support , click fixing a problem (bottom left), click troubleshooting problems , under overviews articles and tutorials , click list of troubleshooters , click startup/shutdown and go through these as another option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone