My PC has slowed to a crawl!

rogercorke 08:07 12 Nov 2008

My PC has suddenly started to run incredibly slowly. It can take as long as a minute for Firefox to begin and opening document attachments in Outlook Express seems to take for ever. Sometimes Outlook Express just crashes, though if I go to Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs and then click Outlook Express in Add/Remove Windows Components then it works again. The USB ports at the front of the computer temporarily stopped working yesterday when I plugged a (clean) flash drive into them. I've tried all the usual solutions - I've defragged it, used a registry cleaner, run two anti virus programs and my usual spyware program. I don't seem to have that many processes running at start up but it's as though the computer is working really hard at something. Any ideas?

birdface 08:24 12 Nov 2008

Check that the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning as well.Has this just happened after last nights Microsoft updates.Check Task Manager to see what program is using up most of the CPU if nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97%.Maybe try Winaso Optimizer it will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.click here [free]

"run two anti virus programs"
Do you have 2 avs installed? or is one of them a online scanner that you have run?
as the problem has just started try a system restore.
Also see Fruitbats response in another slow pc thread.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?