Is my PC dead? unmountable boot volume

athertpa 10:37 04 Oct 2009

Hi all,

I have been stuggling and fixing a hald duplex environment error for some time, and whilst luckily I have saved all of my main files on an external hard drive, my honeymoon photos were recently loaded onto the pc and not backed up (you know when the mrs has a brill idea to cut and paste the photos rather than copy!)

Anyway I am now receiving a blue screen on my computer saying 'unmountable boot volume', I have trawlled the internet and completed the chkdsk /r, chkdsk /p, fixboot, fixmbr but still the pc won't boot.

Does anyone please have some advice how I can fix this, or is my hdd absoloutely knackered? My pc is a packard bell amd3400+

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 04 Oct 2009

What type of drive?

Before messing any further its probably worth connecting to your other machine and attempting to retrieve the photos before you die and your missus is banged up for murder.

:0)

bremner 10:50 04 Oct 2009

The fact that it will not boot suggests either a defective hard drive or possibly a seriously corrupt MBR.

Have you the ability to remove the hard drive from this computer and add it as a slave drive to another computer, either directly to the motherboard or indirectly in a USB caddy.

You could then ascertain if it can be seen as a drive.

athertpa 10:56 04 Oct 2009

Hi

I have now connected the drive to another computer, it was recognised as a slave drive in the BIOS. The drive is showing on my computer as drive e: but I am unable to access any infor from the drive, just keep on saying do you want to format yes or no.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:10 04 Oct 2009

Now try running
Testdisc click here
or
PCInspector click here

to recover your pictures

testdisk may also recover your Master boot record.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone