my pc appears to be dead

ABI2GAIL 09:22 23 Jan 2010

I turn on my pc and ....nothing. There is a light on the motherboard, the dvd drawer opens but thats about it. Im guessing its the motherboard but can anyone tell me if they think i am right?also, i have tried to take out the hard drive and put in another pc but it wont work! never done it before so not sure if i am doing it right. Thanks

johndrew 09:58 23 Jan 2010

What sounds do you get? Any fan or drive noises?

Do you get any `beeps` when you put power on?

What exactly have you done with the hard drive? This tells you exactly how to remove/fit a HDD to a desk top PC click here

If the HDD has failed it may have caused secondary damage, but it may also be the power supply unit (PSU) that has gone down. You could also be right about the motherboard, but all avenues should be considered.

Technotiger 10:24 23 Jan 2010

It is almost certainly a dead PSU. Not very expensive, and easy to replace.

Technotiger 10:25 23 Jan 2010

PS - when you put the hard drive in another PC, you probably did not adjust the Jumpers!

ABI2GAIL 10:36 23 Jan 2010

The fan is working, dont get any beeps or other noise! i will look at the instructions you sent befor i do anything else with the hdd. ~curious, if the drawer opens and the fan works , why might it be ths psu, do these things not need it to work?

ABI2GAIL 10:37 23 Jan 2010

The fan is working, dont get any beeps or other noise! i will look at the instructions you sent befor i do anything else with the hdd. ~curious, if the drawer opens and the fan works , why might it be ths psu, do these things not need it to work?

Technotiger 10:46 23 Jan 2010

The lights and drawer working means nothing - neither of them need much power to make them work - it is definitely the PSU, which is Dead!

ABI2GAIL 10:50 23 Jan 2010

ok, thanks for your help

ABI2GAIL 12:58 23 Jan 2010

took the psu out and to the shop who says it is working fine!!!

Technotiger 14:09 23 Jan 2010

Hmm,that is a surprise, to me anyway.

OK, next thing to try is remove all your RAM sticks and then replace them again, making sure of a good contact, with the end-clips popping into place properly.

Technotiger 14:10 23 Jan 2010

BTW, did the shop actually try the PSU in another PC, or did they just test the cables?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017