My own Vista Dvd

jim63 09:07 19 Oct 2009

My PC came with Vista Premium already installed but would like to get my own. Would this be what I am looking for? WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM DVD - EUROPEAN ENGLISH £15

jim63 09:10 19 Oct 2009

This was also with it Item Description - GENUINE VISTA ANYTIME UPGRADE INSTALL DISK Brand new 32 bit

mooly 12:31 19 Oct 2009

If they are genuine items with a valid license then yes I would say so. It's only the license you are really buying, any disk is the same as another.

As it was preinstalled you probably have a recovery partition on your HDD with an image that you can restore back to, making it all as it was on day one.

jim63 14:52 19 Oct 2009

Have looked at that option but don't know how to access HDD.

jim63 15:00 19 Oct 2009

Had another look at disc for sale and I would have to buy key,
:There is a sticker on side of casing which says Product key with letters and numbers after it. Is this what seller means.
"Windows vista anytime upgrade DVD 32bit

Allows you to re-install any version of windows vista or up-grade to a higher version ( you will need a CD-Key that can be purchased from Microsoft)

Ideal if you dont have the original vista dvd with your PC or Laptop but have the sticker (cd-key) stuck on the side or the base, with this disk you can just re-install everything like new."

mooly 19:28 19 Oct 2009

Have a read at this,
click here

"Ideal if you dont have the original vista dvd with your PC or Laptop but have the sticker (cd-key) stuck on the side or the base, with this disk you can just re-install everything like new."

Perhaps others could advise better on this, but I don't think it's that simple.
I know if you have an original Vista disc and reinstall using a "newer" version of Vista for example SP1/SP2 then your original license key won't work. You have to use a pre SP1/2 disk which will validate.

HDD recovery .
Perhaps if you post the make and model someone may know. Usually accessed by pressing a couple of keys at boot up. Have you searched on your PC for a PDF user manual. Just type the make of the PC into Vista's search box in the start menu and see what comes up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 19 Oct 2009

A Vista DVD is nice to have but it is easier to restore an image rather than reinstall VISTA from scratch, search for updtaed drivers and reinstal all other software on the machine.

Therefore my advice is to buy a copy of Acronis or other disk imaging software (some can be got free)

Restoring a backup image can be done in approx 20 mins and everything including data photos emails are back to how it was at your last back up time.
Just make sure you do a backup at least once a week and you will hardly lose anything in the event of a crash.

rdave13 19:51 19 Oct 2009

Have a 2 1/2 year old Compaq laptop supplied with Vista preinstalled(oem). Vista version pre any service packs.
Given a Vista SP1 DVD disc and I successfully reinstalled and verified the OS. Much better without the HP crud on it.

jim63 20:24 19 Oct 2009

HDD Packard Bell Istart

mooly 12:54 20 Oct 2009

Found this as a general procedure,
click here

and this which may be similar procedure,
click here

Seems you have the option to burn your own discs too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?