My Notebook is running with Windows XP

bernvs 11:47 09 May 2014
Answered

My Notebook is an Advent 4211-B 1024MB Memory (not Upgradable), and 80GB H/Drive. Now that XP is discontinued what operating program would be suitable to replace XP and continue running the programs installed. Mainly used for running a modified 'Money Plus' program found a few years ago to replace the original Microsoft one when it was discontinued, also internet searches. Years ago I recall a program called UBUNTU? being suggested but would that be suitable if it is still around? Whatever solution is suggested some guidance on installation would be appreciated.

onthelimit1 14:41 09 May 2014

With that much memory, an upgrade to Windows 7 is not really on. The free OS such as Ubunto and Linux won't I don't think, run Windows programs. Why not stick with XP - it's not 'discontinued', just that MS aren't producing any updates for it any more. I still have customers using Windows 95!

rdave13 16:06 09 May 2014

I still run XP on an old netbook. Not worth changing the OS for me. As long as you've updated the last patch from Microsoft (after the discontinued date!) and run a free firewall, AV and things like spywareblaster, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, use common sense when surfing, then I can't find any reason to change it.

Peter 18:24 09 May 2014

bernvs,

The Advent 4211b can be upgraded to 2GB of memory by the addition of a 1GB stick of RAM . I upgraded my 4211 for about £15 a few years ago. Also, I upgraded the hard drive to 500 GB. You will need to take the bottom of the net book off, but you may be able to find a video of the procedure on UTUBE.

Peter.

iscanut 16:59 12 May 2014
Answer

I agree with onthelimit1and rdave13, do nothing and carry on with XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie