Is my new Dell knackered?!!

Lou3000 14:41 18 Jun 2007

In July 2005 I bought a brand new Dell 9100. I had no trouble with it until a month ago when, whilst working away it suddenly switched itself off - briefly - then started to boot up again ....then switched off and on again a couple more times, so quickly I didn't have a chance to do anything other than swear.

Two techy mates have looked at the machine. One thought it was the psu so I purchased a new one from America via ebay(I couldn't afford Dell's prices). But that hasn't solved the problem. Another techy mate has the machine at the moment and is almost certain the motherboard is fried. He is doing more checks and keeping a note what he's done.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar? I confess that when we opened up the machine it was full of dust, as the tower had been on the floor. The machine had been getting noiser but not exceedingly so. I never smelt any burning.

I now have to face the possibility that I may have to replace the motherboard - but at Dell's prices, I think I'd prefer to buy a new machine.

Sigh.

Belatucadrus 16:13 18 Jun 2007

Hardware problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose remotely. The PSU suggestion was a fair one, unfortunate that it doesn't appear to have done the job. The next thing to suggest is strip the machine down to basics, ie remove all but one RAM stick and try to get it to boot, then if successful slowly add the peripherals until the problem is identified and replace the duff component. From the sound of things this is what your Techie mate will be trying. Lets hope he/she succeeds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?