My Multivision randomly reboots, hangs etc etc

Sean_Ocel 02:12 06 Mar 2004

We bought a new pc from Multivision last November
and have had nothing but problems. The OS is XP(Home), Athlon 2400, Geforce 5200 graphics, Creative Augigy 2 ZS soundcard, 512 DDR, Microstar Motherboard. The first thing we did after connecting everything up was to play an audio CD, and within minutes the system stopped responding (would'nt even reset). Multivision had the system back and replaced harddrive and memory. Recieved the system back and system rebooted itself again within minutes of setting up. This time we were not even playing a cd. PC went back to multivision two days before they shutdown to have a different motherboard fitted, only we had to make a 600 mile roundtrip to collect it without the replacement being made. The PC randomly hangs, with a clicking sound from the speakers before going into standby mode (standby mode is turned off).The only way to restart is by resetting system. The system also reboots on its own still. These faults can occur when system is idle, surfing net, playing cd's in fact for apparently any reason and also at any time. It could happen after 18 minutes or 18 hours. We have updated all available updates from microsoft and run AVG,Spybot and Adaware.....Plaese help, we're desperate

powerless 05:04 06 Mar 2004

1) Click Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced Settings [third one], UN-check the box next to "Automtically restart". When XP decides to restart you'll have a blue screen, this screen will tell you what is making XP cause you problems. Post back what the info you see.

2) Click Start, Run, Copy and Paste:

eventvwr.msc

Click OK.

Click on APPLICATION and look for RED errors, double click the log and within this log there should be a link to microsoft site where it may or maynot tell you of the problem and the cure.

Do the same for SYSTEM.

3) Click Start, Run, Type:

msconfig

Click OK.

Click STARTUP and remove all ticks from the boxes and restart your computer. If the computer restarts etc then its not a software issue. If the computer decides to work for you then I suspect a software problem. To find out which piece of software is causing the problem. Stick a tick back in the bxes [one at time] and it should reveal the troublemaker.

4) Click Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, are there any exclamation marks etc?

5) Click Start, Run, Type:

msinfo32

Click OK.

Click Components, Problem Devices, anything shown?

Have you tried a new clean install of XP?

powerless 05:12 06 Mar 2004

Automatically Restart

Sean_Ocel 21:42 08 Mar 2004

I may have traced the problem to Creative Media Source. I don't know if there are any patches required for it but i will post info about how i get on with it. Any advice on patches would be appreciated. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone