Is my motherboard compatible with USB2.0?

slangley 16:55 13 Jan 2006

Sorry to repeat some previous threads but i would like to know whether my ASUS A7A266 motherboard is ok to add a USB 2.0 PCI card? if so, do i need to configure the board in a particular way or update anything?

BIOS version 1008
Athlon 1400
768MB
Windows XP Pro

Thanks in advance

PS. is mobo an abbreviation for motherboard?

Diemmess 17:11 13 Jan 2006

Should be fine.
XP should find its own drivers as soon as it boots up with the card in position.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 13 Jan 2006

Will work ok

Totally-braindead 17:17 13 Jan 2006

Yes mobo is an abreviation for motherboard and yes it should be fine installing a USB 2.0 card. You don't need to so anything just plug it in, and install the drivers from the cd you'll get with it. Xp as Diemmess has said will probably find its own drivers, if it does you won't even need the CD.

Diemmess 17:19 13 Jan 2006

Motherboard = mobo
Read some reviews from putting ASUS A7A266 into google - here's one
click here

slangley 19:29 13 Jan 2006

thnaks for the prompt replies. any recommendations for a decent usb 2.0 card? also, i've been reading about some problems with usb 2.0 cards, such as error balloons saying "the usb device has malfunctioned" and usb external drives not being recognised. are these common problems and are they easily solved?
cheers

Stuartli 19:41 13 Jan 2006

I bought a Sunix USB2 PCI card with four external ports and one internal for just over £11 from a local computer parts outlet a few days ago.

It works OK and, as already pointed out, is recognised by Windows immediately. See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires