Is my monitor on the way out?

Red Flag 17:44 08 Mar 2003

Every half hour or so my three year old monitor makes a click noise and the screen quickly flickers.

Is it on its way out? How long do monitors last? Any recommendations for a cheapish lcd monitor?

topdraw 17:50 08 Mar 2003

Check leads thoroughly before commiting to a new monitor.

topdraw 17:57 08 Mar 2003

If you do have to change your monitor and your budget is tight, go for a very good crt flat sceen rather than a mediocre lcd. A very good 17 inch monitor would be a Mitsubishi 750 SB at about £139.00 plus vat. It comes with a 3 year on site warranty.

spuds 18:54 08 Mar 2003

I have a 4 year old monitor which as been flickering on rare occassions for about 6 months now. The picture also tends to shrink rapidly and return just as fast.Thought my monitor was for the recycling bin, but it is still chugging along. I have a new CTX monitor standing by for the final puff, if and when it happens.If you seek a good monitor, then I recommend a below £100 CTX 17" from Dabs etc.Remember nearly all new monitors have a three year warranty.

graham 19:49 08 Mar 2003

Can't resist any longer:My monitor is on the way out when I'm going out, but on the way in when I'm coming in. :-)

Stuartli 21:17 08 Mar 2003

Three years is not particularly old for a modern monitor; I've acquired several secondhand monitors at computer fairs for friends, relatives etc that are four, five or more years old and are still providing an excellent screen display.

It's the same with television sets - buy quality and they last for 10 years or more.

I bought the first Toshiba 21in set equipped with Nicam in 1990 (UK built) which was used virtually all day, every day. My son has had it for the past three years and is still delighted with the excellent sound and picture quality.

eccomputers 01:25 09 Mar 2003

I think that's the key to it. A tv engineer told me that a tv will last many more years if it was never turned off. Apparently it's the on and off of the power that degrades them. So, mine is switched to standby at night, on in the morning and it stays on all day every day. Now is 10 years old and still perfect sound and picture.

Stuartli 08:25 09 Mar 2003

Not wise to leave any TV unattended on standby.

My mate runs an independent audio/visual/appliances retail outlet and, if he left one or more TVs on overnight for display purposes, his insurance would be invalid in the event of a fire.....

The Toshiba TV referred to and the updated model I bought in 1996 are both used extensively daily, but are switched off when not required, rather than put in standby.

It's the same with my 17in iiyama S702GT monitor acquired in 1999, which is switched on and off several times a day and is still functioning perfectly.

Pappyon 09:00 09 Mar 2003

Didn't you read in the papers about the tv that exploded and nearly took a teenager's arm off?
It could have set the house on fire. I would never leave at tv on when there's nobody there to attend to it!!

My televisions get switched off when there's going to be nobody in the house, and at bedtime!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone