Is my monitor dying?

BAW083 23:53 29 Apr 2004

Its worked fine, seemlessly even for the last 5 years.

19" Samtron 95P Plus, but tonight I switched it off when going down for my tea.

I returned 45 minutes to an hour later to fined the colours were bad, and rather than being crips and clear the screen itself appears to have faded. What should be white is like a washed out bluey gray, and reds are black, orange or brown, dark greens are now light green and the only colour that doesn't "seems" to be affected is blue.

To top it all off there are red, laser like lines running across the screen on media rich pages, and the screen is now a strain to look at.
Ridiculous as it sounds I've taken to wearing my sunglasses (its quarter to midnight (GTM)) - which actually helps - as I right this and search for a replacement.

Is it safe to say that one of the guns has either gone or is failing?
Could it probably be salvaged, should I just chuck it, or get a replacement and keep it with a view to getting it fixed - as a spare?

If its on its last legs could someone recommend a 19" CRT preferably for no more than £200.
I found 19" Samsung monitors on dabs.com (SM959NF, SM957P and another SM957P but one says its localised for the U.S., whilst the other SM957P has AC 110/220 as its voltages. Putting 230 or 240 into a 220 monitor wouldn't be wise would it?

johnnyrocker 00:00 30 Apr 2004

it would appear to suggest a failure in the de gauss circuit try a manual degauss ( button situated somewhere at the back of monitor) but it certainly sounds like that sort of prob and if what i have suggested does not work take it to a local repairman who should be able to fix reasonably. (it is without doubt in my opinion a magnetism problem) but hey istand to be corrected by someone wiser.;)

johny.

keith-236785 00:02 30 Apr 2004

Relisys
MOR-TE988

£95.95
£112.74 inc.VAT

from click here

or

GNR CM1997FS 19in Monitor FST 0.26dpi 1600x1200 @ 80khz

Our Price £88.90
£104.46 inc VAT

from click here

johnnyrocker 00:05 30 Apr 2004

cheaper to have it looked at.

johnny.

BAW083 00:20 30 Apr 2004

I can degauss it from its menu, or do you mean by another means?

johnnyrocker 00:24 30 Apr 2004

yes there is or should be a manual button on the rear/front and if it does not work either the positor has failed or is dry joint on the main board.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?