my laptop's been stolen...am i in trouble?!

Shipton 11:00 07 Oct 2006

Last night some oik stole my laptop. Apart from the usual loss of cherished family photos, and wishing I'd archived more work data, i am worried that my identity could now be vulnerable to theft. When I've bought stuff over the net, will my keystrokes be hidden deep within the bowels of the hard drive somewhere waiting for some techno whizz to lift them? Will they lift my details from my cv (or other people's CV's) and do damage? Will they be able to access my mail simply by connecting to the net (i used to auto connect with no passwords into my imap and pop accounts)...please advise this depserate man.

Richard

Jackcoms 11:06 07 Oct 2006

I think that, unfortunately, the answer to all of your questions is yes.

However, the key stokes one may be a qualified 'yes', particularly if you had the option in IE ticked under Security which says "Do not save encrypted pages to Disk".

Others may know better.

You may want to think about changing your banking passwords, etc as well as your e-mail address.

STREETWORK 11:06 07 Oct 2006

Notify any credit cards companies about it and your bank. Go to your ISP and get your password for email and internet changed.

Diemmess 11:24 07 Oct 2006

Your post really stopped me in my tracks.

While it would be wise to do all the things that have been suggested I hope that the new "owner" will want to remove any trace that could lead back to him.

IF ..?..?.. that is so, he may be curious, but will want to set up a new identity a.s.a.p. and wipe all your traceable stuff away.

It all depends on the thief and the eventual user.

May you be lucky from here on.

Pineman100 11:31 07 Oct 2006

As others have said, you are definitely at risk of all the problems that you have outlined.

However, they are not inevitable. It all depends on the motives of the thief, and the level of skill of the final receiver of your laptop.

If the thief just stole it to sell on, he probably won't be interested in your data.

If the final receiver just wants a laptop for his own use, the same may apply.

However, you can't afford to assume that either of these will be the case. The advice you've been given by Jackcoms and Streetwork is good, and you should follow it meticulously.

Set about systematically changing any and all account details, passwords, etc. that might be at risk. And you might want to warn those people whose email addresses were in your Contacts list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone