My laptop wont actually load up

scots-lass 08:25 31 Jul 2006

About three months ago i was given a pacard bell laptop by someone who had just got a new one.im pretty sure its a 'easy note a8550'.
It was working perfectly fine on friday evening but when i turned computer on yesterday it stopping at the part where it initially loads up windows and then screen goes going black and a message appears stating that " cannot load file system root/system 32.drive is corrupt absent or unwritable". Can anyone advise what this means and why my computer all of a sudden wont load up.
It has windows xp and recently added blueyonder internet.
Cheers

Taff™ 08:53 31 Jul 2006

It sounds like a Hard Drive problem or a corruption of the file system. The computer isn`t finding the correct files to fully load windows. Which Window Operating System are you using (XP?)and do you have a system disc or just a recovery disc?

Graham ® 08:54 31 Jul 2006

Start in Safe Mode - normally by pressing F8 as it boots. Try 'last known good configuration' first.

scots-lass 08:56 31 Jul 2006

To be honest i dont have any disk. It does have windows xp and it has ben running trouble free until now.
If its a hard drive problem would that mean replacing the full hard drive?
Sorry but i wouldnt say im the brightest when it comes to computer hardware.

xania 09:46 31 Jul 2006

More likely to be software than hardware. If software, you will need your installation CD, which should have been given to you with the PC. However, it may well be that the installation CD is a hidden partition on the hard drive, in which case you will need to find out from your source how to reinstall the system.
To download your User Manual click here, but briefly, I believe you have to press <F11> at the HPO logo screen and follow the on-screen instructions. Note that you will lose all your data during this, so I hope you've got all this backed up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?