My laptop takes about a 30mins to get up to speed

JF25 22:12 02 Aug 2010

My laptop an Acer 5720 takes a long time to get going,about half an hour before it works at a reasonable speed. Before this it takes ages to find anything or bring any programme up. Often getting messages like 'not responding' It is running Vista Home but has only got 1Gb of memory. Would increasing the memory to 4Gb inprovr the situation or is there possibly another problem? Mostly I have it connected to the mains so it is not a battery problem.
I would like to be sure that increasing the memory would really help before buying. Any suggestions would be gladly received.
Thank you.

birdface 23:14 02 Aug 2010

Have you run Malwarebytes free and run C Cleaner.
Make sure your anti-virus does not run a scan at start up set it to run at a different time..
Defrag.
Maybe to many programs running at start up.
And yes you could do with some more memory.
Have you any space left on your hard drive.
What security do you have including your Firewall.
A lot of laptops come with Norton pre-installed.
If so did you use the Norton removal tool to remove it.

JF25 09:12 03 Aug 2010

Thank you for your reply buteman

I have recently done a clean uninstall using Acer management as there was a problem with the DVD drive. This completely clears hard drive and re installs programmes to original factory settings. This meant I had to uninstall trial of full Word 2007 and install Word Office for Home & Students. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed. No Norton was in the factory installation so it was not necessary to use Norton removal tool.
There is plenty of space on hard drive, about 80 Gbs.

birdface 09:49 03 Aug 2010

I can only think that maybe some of your drivers will be needing updating.
Try device manager and see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the programs.
Have you ran all of the Microsoft updates again if so maybe a defrag may help.

johndrew 09:59 03 Aug 2010

Are you sure that Norton isn`t causing some of your problems? It has been reported in the past that Norton is a resource hog and slows things down. Whether this results from settings within the software or not I don`t know as reports have turned me away from using it. Perhaps it may be worthwhile disabling it at boot up (use msconfig) and seeing if that helps matters. You can restart and/or reset it later if you want.

Other than that I can only think of BIOS settings and as buteman suggests.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017