My Laptop and Spyware

sweetzombie 17:51 14 May 2006

My Laptop has become infected with spyware after using a wirelss connection...ill have proper spyware stuff nextime...now when i log on i cant acess applications or the start button or anything...i just get my background though i can get up windows task manager...i have a dell computer by the way...is there any way u guys think i could system restore without the 'start' button?

Diodorus Siculus 18:00 14 May 2006

Can you boot into safe-mode?

Press F8 at boot up till you get a menu and then choose safe mode. From there you should have the option to use System Restore.

Not sure why you got the spyware via wireless - it should be secure...

skidzy 18:01 14 May 2006

Have you tried in safe mode ?..tapping f8 on start up will normally get you into safe mode

skidzy 18:01 14 May 2006

Sorry Dio,you beat me to it Lol

sweetzombie 20:30 14 May 2006

Can i just ask...what is safe mode? I havent got much computer knowledge.

SG Atlantis® 20:34 14 May 2006

safe mode is a diagnostic mode with minimal processes and generic drivers running.

sweetzombie 20:41 14 May 2006

so how step by step can i get from their to restoring my computer to the original condition in which it was sent to me by Dell?

woodchip 20:42 14 May 2006

When you keep taping F8 it brings a list up, neer the top of the list choose start in safe mode. Come back if it works. This is alimited startup, less drivers are loaded

sweetzombie 21:00 14 May 2006

it worked now what should i do?

sweetzombie 21:03 14 May 2006

how should i go about system restore..step by step if possible?

woodchip 21:04 14 May 2006

If you have a AV program can you run it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?