Is my laptop SATA III 6GB/s compatible?

Electronic_Eric 19:49 10 Dec 2014

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an SSD drive. If i do, i want to be able to enjoy the maximum performance that they offer since they are rather expensive. So i want to find out whether my laptop is SATA III 6GB/s compatible or just has SATA II 3GB/s. Is there a way to find this out? I've tried looking on the manufacturers website but there only appears to have the latest models, which mine is not.

I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G, with GeForce 630m, i7 3632QM 2.2GHz, 1TB HDD, 8GB DDR3, and a Blu-ray disc drive. Whilst i know that all of these stats don't mean a thing in terms of SATA but thought it might help identify exactly which V3-571G i have.

Any help is much appreciated.

rdave13 20:25 10 Dec 2014

CrystalDiskInfo will show your Sata speeds. If it's SATA II then will show up as SATA/300, if SATA III will then show as SATA/600.

I've a link to it from Majorgeeks , so hopefully will not come with junkware when you install. I would still use the custom install, if you have the option, so you can untick any ad-ons offered.

Electronic_Eric 00:25 11 Dec 2014

Thanks rdave13! I just opened up the program called DiskInfo.exe and it just started. No install required. :)

So the program states that the transfer mode..... Transfer Mode : SATA/300 | SATA/300. One value is the current transfer mode and the other is the supported transfer mode. Is the supported transfer mode stating all possible transfer modes that the laptop excluding the HDD is capable of supporting? Or is it just stating the transfer modes that are currently supported with the current setup including the HDD?

Electronic_Eric 01:01 11 Dec 2014

I see that someone who has the same IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers as me has plugged in an SSD and the Transfer Mode states SATA/600 | SATA/600.

The controller is - Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller [ATA]. Would this confirm that i'm able to have SATA III?

alanrwood 10:00 11 Dec 2014

You probably would not even notice the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 in real life. The difference would be very noticeable even if you have SATA 2,

Electronic_Eric 20:14 11 Dec 2014

I wouldn't notice the difference between SATA II and SATA III even if SATA III has twice the throughput? Why is this?

I contacted the manufacturer of my laptop and they stated that the motherboard is only SATA II compatible. When i check the throughput figures for this is states 3.0Gbps (1.5Gbps) - I assume that 3.0Gbps is the average throughput of the technology? What does the 1.5Gbps mean?

I calculate that 3.0Gbps is 384MBps and 1.5Gbps is 192MBps.

Does this mean that the maximum performance SSD drive i should purchase is a little higher than 384MBps read and 384MBps write? In real life i am fully aware that the drive will spend only tiny portions of it's life at +99% read or write throughput.

Electronic_Eric 02:50 12 Dec 2014

I see.

I suppose the question is now changed to what SSD is the most suitable for SATA II? I could buy the most expensive SSD (£/GB) i can find but surely i'll be wasting my money in the sense that it'll have too much performance that i won't be able to unleash with SATA II? Or are the differences just more than bandwidth? Do the drives with higher bandwidths tend to have fast seek times as well?

I see that the differences between SATA II and SATA III is noticeable when transferring large files in the range of gigabytes. As the majority of the time, only relatively small files are written/read. Any other differences?

I'm trying not to waste my money on an SSD where i won't be able notice the difference over a cheaper SSD because of the restrictions of SATA II and any other relative restriction. My analogy is that it's like buying a Ferrari but only being able to drive it on public roads.

Electronic_Eric 02:50 12 Dec 2014

I see.

I suppose the question is now changed to what SSD is the most suitable for SATA II? I could buy the most expensive SSD (£/GB) i can find but surely i'll be wasting my money in the sense that it'll have too much performance that i won't be able to unleash with SATA II? Or are the differences just more than bandwidth? Do the drives with higher bandwidths tend to have fast seek times as well?

I see that the differences between SATA II and SATA III is noticeable when transferring large files in the range of gigabytes. As the majority of the time, only relatively small files are written/read. Any other differences?

I'm trying not to waste my money on an SSD where i won't be able notice the difference over a cheaper SSD because of the restrictions of SATA II and any other relative restriction. My analogy is that it's like buying a Ferrari but only being able to drive it on public roads.

alanrwood 10:43 12 Dec 2014

I have several machines all with various specs and combinations of SATA2 and 3 SSDs and Motherboards. Frankly I can't tell the difference in real life. If you are mainly moving small files it should be even less noticeable.

Buy a SATA3 6GB drive and you are future proofing against any improvements in the SATA controillers The price difference is negligable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?