Is my laptop infected with spyware

Never again 12:41 07 Nov 2008

I run my windows xp laptop internet access on a mobile dongle with one of the main mobile phone companies, which has a 3gb a month data limit before charging extra.

I was connected for just over an hour today via the bundled software to do my emails through outlook, and noticed that 400mb of data had been uploaded. I normally don’t exceed more that 12 mb over the course of a day, and some days less than that.

I’m obviously worried that someone has either hijacked my connection or my data, or my laptop is infected with spyware.

I run windows firewall, which I assume covers the mobile connection, and superantispyware free which I update and run every couple of days, along with AVG antivirus free on a daily basis.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Pineman100 12:45 07 Nov 2008

Are you certain that the 400Mb was just the one hour's usage, and not a total of your use so far this month?

Rahere 12:48 07 Nov 2008

That seems a lot - It's worth checking your firewall logs, your browser history, and email to see what volume/time you can prove you used.

Then call your ISP and question the bill firmly but politely.

Never again 13:10 07 Nov 2008

My usage is split into daily, monthly and yearly logs and also counts up each session I connect.

It was 40mb in just over an hour uploaded with only 7mb downloaded, which is about all that went into my outlook inbox.

I am a mobile safety rep and do not deal with the financial side - thats done by my union treasurer, but I never stay connected for more than about 2 hours maximum, as I connect a few times each day, but I will ask him to speak to the provider.

I really concerned that I'm infected with something that my precautions have not detected.

How can I check and/ or improve my protection?

Pineman100 17:31 07 Nov 2008

The answer top your question rather depends on what security software you're running already.

This thread click here has a very useful post by skidzy on all kinds of free security software. Read through it carefully to see what combination of programs he recommends.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?